Beauty Bite // Olive Oil is your Friend
Which brings me to my next item of business...
You might as well give her a hug, because I have a feeling you're about to become besties. See below for some of the ways she lends a perfectly manicured and effortlessly moisturized hand to many of my daily beauty routines! Olive Oil Awesome-ness:
- Cuticle Softener & Nail Polish Quick-dry: If your cuticles are looking a little ragged, simply rub a few drops into each of your nails after a manicure (self-done or professional!) for a long-lasting moisturizer that also protects your nails from smudging and somehow magically makes polish dry quickly and set harder. I've also read that soaking nails for 30 minutes in a small cup of olive oil can strengthen brittle and dry nails, but haven't tried this one yet.
- Hands, Body & Feet: Smooth on some olive oil before getting ready for bed, and by the time you're ready to crawl under the covers, your skin will be ready for a night of healing and repair. If you are worried about the mess, just massage a small amount into skin whenever you need softening and moisturizing and be sure to wait a while before coming in contact with other porous surfaces. I apply lightly to my legs and feet before putting on my running gear (socks/shoes/cotton leggings) and the heat from my body seems to help it to soak in especially well. Not a runner? You could easily do the socks/leggings thing before bed, as well - less mess!
- Kissable Lips: I'm a big fan of Fresh Sugar Lip Polish, but after realizing the fairly simple main components, I decided to try making my own, and it seems to work just as well! I start with a small dollop of brown sugar and add a few drops of olive oil until it forms the consistency that I want, and then use it to exfoliate and moisturize my dry, chapped lips. Because it's so inexpensive and easy to make in large quantities, I have to think this would make a great body scrub as well, and would be a fun gift when wrapped up in the right packaging.
- Handy Hair Treatment: These simple tricks can help smooth split ends, heal dry scalp (which can cause dandruff), and makes your hair shiny, silky, and healthy. I only use a small amount (just a few drops!) and simply rub it all over my hands, and then run my fingers through my towel-dry hair from mid-shaft to ends after getting out of the shower. Blow-dry and style as usual and I swear you'll be able to notice a difference. I also have heard that olive oil can make a great deep conditioning mask, and all you have to do is massage a few tablespoons into scalp and hair, cover with a plastic bag and leave on for at least 30 minutes before shampooing as usual.
- Super-smooth Post-shave Treatment: Olive oil is a great follow-up treatment for after you de-fuzz your legs! While still in the shower, spread a small amount all over your newly shaved legs, and then rinse off with warm water. It leaves your legs feeling SUPER soft, and has somehow completely stopped me from getting razor burn, and the glow lasts all day leaving legs looking tan because they reflect light more easily!
A few other olive oil uses that I have yet to try, but am interested in testing out:
- Makeup remover - Not quite sure yet, but I think it's just swipe on, wipe off... anyone know?
- Leg shaving oil - Slather it on before you shave it all off and be careful not to slip in the shower!
- Bath soak - Add a couple of drops to a warm bath and hop out post-soak with instantly moisturized skin.
Alright, now it's your turn: Have you tried any of these olive oil beauty tricks for yourself? Any others that I'm missing out on all together? You guys always have the best ideas, and I'd love to hear your own take on the topic!