I’ve been sitting here trying to think of a play on words that involves the veins on my legs and the vanity in my heart, but let’s just cut right to the chase because I’m already on vacay. ;)
Here are five ways that I try to get my legs ready for their big-bare-debut in the first sunshine of the season:
- Laser Hair Removal – I waxed for years, but this is a game changer. Definitely pricey, but practically worth every penny. My advice would be to find a Groupon in your area (I use their handy app to search for nearby spots) and then cross reference with Yelp reviews to make sure it’s a reputable salon.
- Exfoliate – Mix your own shower scrub by using 2 tbsp of almond oil (love this one that comes mixed with vitamin E) and 2 tbsp of instant coffee with a generous handful of sea salt or sugar. No need to scour your skin – just use small gentle circles and let the burst of caffeine get your blood flowing so that the cellulite looks less noticeable.
- Sunless Tan – Use the Fake Bake 5-Min Mousse. (Love that it comes with gloves.) Go easy and apply in layers to avoid looking streaky or orange. It does continue to develop more over time so even if you don’t notice anything at first, you’ll probably see a difference after a few hours have passed.
- Squats – Not kidding. I do as many as I can in 90 seconds before stepping into a swimsuit, and even if it’s just a tiny bit of temporary tightening, the extra tone makes a noticeable difference. Bonus points for throwing in a bunch of wall presses, too.
- Vulnerability – Tell the people around you that you feel great, and you WILL feel great. Plan to leave your coverup on the beach chair, and ask your sweetie-pie to listen to one wife bear her heart about bikinis. They’ll get the idea that you’re encouraged by their words, and I believe that feeling beautiful starts with the soul.
Of course, I’m still learning to remember that we were created exactly the way we are supposed to be, but I also believe that taking great care of ourselves is the best way to actually get a head start. ;)