I already gushed about this in a periscope last week, but I have some really amazing pals.
We have a lot of the same standards + values when it comes to food stuff, and that’s why her blog is one of my all-time faves when it comes to ideas and resources for healthy eating. As someone who LOVES the tangible nature of a cookbook that you can dog-ear and spill on and crack open on the counter when you need some serious dinner inspo — I was so excited to get my hands on her own, and it has very quickly become a nightly read for me.
Not only is it a beautiful addition to your kitchen counter, but every single one of the recipes has your precious body and ultimate health in mind. It is FILLED with over 200 detox-approved plant-based recipes that are free of gluten, dairy, soy, refined sugar, eggs, corn and processed ingredients. As if you needed one more reason to get on board, here are a few words from the King of Clean Eating himself:
Amie approaches detoxification and optimal health from a genuine place. She has struggled with toxicity and many of its health-robbing ramifications. Along the way, she’s developed a road map she shared in this groundbreaking book that can also help you heal your health, your weight, and your life.
– Mark Hyman, MD.
Amie has been kind enough to share a recipe from the book just for you, and let me just tell you that these tacos will not disappoint. ;)
Millet Breakfast Tacos w/ Portobellos + Peppers
Recipe from Eating Clean by Amie Valpone
1½ cups cooked millet
¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
¼ teaspoon sea salt
8 gluten-free whole-grain tortillas (corn-free)
1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cumin Cashew Cream Sauce, optional
Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce, optional
2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large portobello mushroom, cut into 8 slices
1 large red bell pepper, cut into long strips
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch chipotle powder
¼ cup thinly sliced radish, for garnish
1 cup shredded red cabbage
- In a small bowl, combine the millet, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms in a single layer. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the bell pepper, cumin,salt, black pepper, chipotle powder, and remaining oil, if needed. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetablesare cooked through, stirring often.
- Garnish with the radish + keep warm
- To assemble, warm the tortillas on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven or in a dry skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Place the warm tortillas on a platter or on individual plates. Divide the millet among the tortillas. Top each with the Portobello Mushroom and Red Pepper mixture. Top with the cabbage, avocado slices, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish with a dollop of the Cumin Cashew Cream Sauce and/or a drizzle of the Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce (if desired).