Life // Holy Moly, We’re Moving!

July 13, 2015

IMG_0313

A wise person once told me that having access to a compass is way more important than just following the route on a map.

Most well-worn paths are made possible by the journeys of people who’ve gone before us, and though invaluable at times, they can leave us wondering… Are we meant to follow a found set of footsteps or is this the point where we decide to forge a new trip of our own.

I’ve been thinking a lot about journeys lately, because Gerard and I are so happy to announce that we are moving back to Southern California at the end of this summer!

We moved to the NYC-area almost four years ago, and I had NO idea that I would fall so head over heels for our little town of Hoboken, NJ. If we’ve ever met in real life, you’ve probably heard me go on and ON about how much we truly love living here, and even the thought of leaving gives me a pit in my stomach that will be hard to replace.

In a way, we’ve always known that the West Coast feels most like home, and that’s why it was so easy to say yes to an opportunity that came our way a few months ago.

IMG_0270

Gerard has accepted an incredible position in downtown LA (so proud of him!), and we will be living just a little ways south of there in the same community that has become somewhat of our winter escape… We fell in love with Long Beach from the moment we first visited, and I seriously cannot wait to add a new city to my little pouch of places we’ve lived.

The bittersweet sense of our decision is currently being masked by my genuine excitement, but I know that when it comes time to leave, there will be a huge swell of sadness when we realize that this chapter of our life is over.

It has been funny to hear how curious people are when we tell them the news, and I’ve found myself feeling a little unsure when folks ask how my work might change and whether we’ll regret our decision to move away from the media & fashion hub that is NYC.

Each time I feel an expectation creep in from some external source, it feels a lot like someone is telling me which way they THINK that we should be going. That’s usually when taking stock of the motives behind our next step ends up being the most helpful.

That’s the thing about maps: We don’t ALWAYS know if we can trust them, right?

Have they been drawn to scale? Was the map-maker an idiot? Doesn’t it seem unlikely that someone else would be going to the exact same place that we are, AND happen to have our best interest in mind?

It’s so easy to blame the map when we get lost, and I’m guessing I’m not the only one who has felt the reeling spin from a GPS-navigation gone wrong.  Most of us couldn’t live without them (including me!), but when it comes to personal decisions maps are better used for reference.

Back to the compasses, though. They are meant to tell us which way is which, and since most people have an idea of where they’d like to be headed, a working one will give you the information needed about which direction to go next.

The reason I love this metaphor is because it causes us to question the maps we’ve been handed, and to rely on using a compass to guide our steps instead.

JessieArtigue.StyleandPepper.TRW-10

In my eyes, that little compass stands for the set of values that guide our decisions and the beliefs that we build our plans upon. It can help us find our North Star when we’re lost (even on a cloudy night), and it uses the magnetic force to guide us back toward the best way to go.

Gerard and I are SO happy to be forging ahead in our lives together, and we are SO excited to keep sharing about our journey along the way. Of course, you’re always welcome to let me know if you have any questions, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on how a map + compass balance plays in to your own life!

Believe it or not: There is ONE more announcement to add to the mix, and you can hear it this Tuesday on our latest episode of Marriage is Funny

Make sure that you’re subscribed on iTunes to be the first to know, and now I’m off to edit the final bits of our next show!

XOXO – Jessie Pepper

*Final image by Kat Harris

• Reply Meghan July 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

So excited for you and Gerard but NYC (and me!!!) will certainly miss you! Can’t wait to visit! XO

• Reply Alissa July 13, 2015 at 10:24 am

Congratulations!!! So excited for you! And totally agree — as helpful as a good map can be, a compass is infinitely more valuable and ultimately more trustworthy. xx #homewardbound

• Reply bri July 13, 2015 at 10:56 am

yay! i hope i’m still around when you get here. we may just miss each other as we’re crossing all of our fingers and toes to move back east. ha! funny how that works.

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 16, 2015 at 11:12 pm

What are the chances, Bri! Dang it! I was excited at the thought of being closer… Keep me posted on your plans, and maybe we’ll at least have a little bit of overlap?

• Reply Alyssa from The Sparkly Life July 13, 2015 at 11:26 am

ahhhh! congrats!!! i am so happy for you (and SO jealous–i adore southern california!). can we please try to have a bwe kafe date before you go though??? xoxo

• Reply Krizia July 13, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Not going to lie. I died when I read you’re moving, then I came back from the dead when I read that you’re moving to Long Beach (where I was born and raised and still frequent to see my family all the time!). So you know what this means? It means ‘see you later alligator’ instead of goodbye. Totes going to hug you on the West Coast. :)

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 16, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Dude. We will hug up a STORM in Long Beach, and I already can’t wait! I totally remember you saying that you’re from there, and so excited at the thought of frequent visits! :)

• Reply Jess Zimlich July 13, 2015 at 2:19 pm

So, so exciting! :) I’ve noticed the older I get, the harder it is to shut out the noise of people around me telling us (Pete and I) what we should/could be doing or maybe they’re just getting louder). We’re doing things on our own time and as long as we remain on the same page, everything will be just fine.

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 16, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Man, doesn’t it feel like such a blessing to have someone to be on the same page with? I feel like G and I might have to cover this in a future MIF episode, because it comes into play in MANY ways/decisions for us. As long as you guys have your compass in hand, I know your journey will be great!

• Reply jaana July 14, 2015 at 1:04 am

congrats! very exciting. hope to bump into you some time! :)

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 16, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Thanks, J! I would love that — Let’s make it happen! XO

• Reply Allison + Amy | VelvetCrate July 14, 2015 at 7:54 am

Best of luck with your move!

• Reply Katie Lee July 14, 2015 at 12:42 pm

As a fellow mover I can so relate to these emotions. Excitement and sadness at the same time. Now that I have found my home city I always feel a mix of emotions when other people announce their moves. My time as a mover is coming to an end and I sometimes miss the adventure of it all. I can’t wait to follow along on this new chapter in your life.

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 16, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Katie, I have TOTALLY had some of the exact same emotions that you mentioned with this very move… Mainly, I know that we’ve always wanted to “end up” in CA near our families, so part of me wonders if this is it? I’ve loved experiencing new places as we’ve hopped around, and even thought I know it doesn’t HAVE to be permanent, there is still a big part of me that wonders what adventure will look like from here on out. Glad to hear I’m not the only one! :) XO

• Reply Eat Live Wear // Sun On My Shoulders – Style & Pepper July 17, 2015 at 7:00 am

[…] soaking up as much NYC as we can over the next few weeks, and this week’s news has certainly put a new perspective on making plans and embracing our current location as much as […]

• Reply Life // So Long, Succulents! – Style & Pepper August 17, 2015 at 8:53 am

[…] goodbye to my beloved plant collection this weekend, and it’s making our move feel oh-so-real and right around the […]

• Reply Life // Leaving Hoboken – Style & Pepper August 27, 2015 at 9:25 am

[…] move to California has been on the horizon for a few months now, and while we are SO excited for the three week […]

• Reply Event // MIF On The Road – Style & Pepper October 14, 2015 at 12:02 pm

[…] move across the country has already begun, and I can hardly believe that we’ll be calling California home before the […]