Concrete Catwalk // New Nautical

February 25, 2014

Is there some unwritten rule that crisp white separates and preppy stripes make the perfect pairing for a day by the water?

Keep reading for a peek at my own take on the nautical trend, and to find out why wandering out of your own section of the store while shopping can lead to a very happy style accident every once in a while.  ;)

IMG_0300 Top to Bottom // kate spade sunnies, Old Navy men’s striped sweater, Sorrelli necklace*, Lush skort (similar), Noonday Collection bracelet*, Cleo clutch*, Dolce Vita ‘Niro’ heels // * notes a gifted item

The collection of striped items in my closet has grown to an embarrassingly large number lately, but when I saw this comfy crew neck sweater in the men’s version of Old Navy, I just knew it must be mine!  I LOVE the tomboyish look that it has, but wanted to balance out the roomy fit with a tailored white skort and this pair of chunky heeled sandals that I nabbed especially for our west coast adventure.

P.S. – This isn’t the first time I’ve borrowed from the boys department… Men’s shirting is one of my favorite ways to temper a feminine shift dress or a pair of super-skinny patterned jeans.  Do you ever swap style elements with the opposite gender?  Share your experiments here so we can be inspired by your adventures!

This post was kindly brought to you by Old Navy.
Check out Old Navy’s latest fashion lineup in store or online at

• Reply kelsey February 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

this is darling! loving that sweatshirt
    ladies in navy

• Reply jaana February 25, 2014 at 12:54 pm

in LOVE with that men’s sweater. i already have 3 gray sweatshirts from old navy, one more won’t hurt! ;)

• Reply Jessie Artigue March 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Perhaps we need to start a support group?!?!? ;) XO

• Reply Adri February 25, 2014 at 5:46 pm

This is a perfect take on a nautical look! Glad to see you’re enjoying the amazing sunshine here!
    xo Adri

• Reply Kelly in the City February 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Gorgeous! I love the shorts paired with the striped top :)

• Reply Miro - Dose Of Dash February 26, 2014 at 11:06 am

I always forget to go into the men’s section in stores but it’s such a great idea. Love how that sweater has the perfect amount of slouch to it!

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // Cycling Style | Style & Pepper March 4, 2014 at 7:00 am

[…] Keep reading to see more fun pics of my new friend, and for all the handy shopping info that goes along with the look… Spoiler alert: That camo cutie is yet another sweater from the men’s section! […]

• Reply London carpet cleaners March 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Gorgeous look! Love the stiped sweater!

• Reply Trendwatch // Five Nods to Nautical | Style & Pepper August 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

[…] Me in a striped sweater & white skort […]

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // Slow Snow | Style & Pepper February 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

[…] of donning sunnies and shorts for a weekend on the water, I’m layered up in as many cold-weather pieces as my […]

• Reply April 14, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I don’t like suffering, therefore, worry has been a compelling force
    in my personal growth. The sailboat was coming slowly into the marina under
    power. It is a burr under my saddle, a spur in my side, I am learning to harness it
    and take it for a ride, like a bucking bronco, riding out of
    the tight pen into an expansive field.