Concrete Catwalk // New Nautical

February 25, 2014

IMG_0329

Is there some unwritten rule that crisp white separates and preppy stripes make the perfect pairing for a day by the water?

Keep reading for a peek at my own take on the nautical trend, and to find out why wandering out of your own section of the store while shopping can lead to a very happy style accident every once in a while.  ;)

IMG_0300 Top to Bottom // kate spade sunnies, Old Navy men’s striped sweater, Sorrelli necklace*, Lush skort (similar), Noonday Collection bracelet*, Cleo clutch*, Dolce Vita ‘Niro’ heels // * notes a gifted item

The collection of striped items in my closet has grown to an embarrassingly large number lately, but when I saw this comfy crew neck sweater in the men’s version of Old Navy, I just knew it must be mine!  I LOVE the tomboyish look that it has, but wanted to balance out the roomy fit with a tailored white skort and this pair of chunky heeled sandals that I nabbed especially for our west coast adventure.

P.S. – This isn’t the first time I’ve borrowed from the boys department… Men’s shirting is one of my favorite ways to temper a feminine shift dress or a pair of super-skinny patterned jeans.  Do you ever swap style elements with the opposite gender?  Share your experiments here so we can be inspired by your adventures!

IMG_0308

IMG_0345

IMG_0330

IMG_0301
IMG_0324

IMG_0302

IMG_0321

IMG_0313

This post was kindly brought to you by Old Navy.
Check out Old Navy’s latest fashion lineup in store or online at oldnavy.com.

• Reply kelsey February 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

this is darling! loving that sweatshirt
    ladies in navy

• Reply jaana February 25, 2014 at 12:54 pm

in LOVE with that men’s sweater. i already have 3 gray sweatshirts from old navy, one more won’t hurt! ;)

• Reply Jessie Artigue March 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Perhaps we need to start a support group?!?!? ;) XO

• Reply Adri February 25, 2014 at 5:46 pm

This is a perfect take on a nautical look! Glad to see you’re enjoying the amazing sunshine here!
    xo Adri

• Reply Kelly in the City February 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Gorgeous! I love the shorts paired with the striped top :)

Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

• Reply Miro - Dose Of Dash February 26, 2014 at 11:06 am

I always forget to go into the men’s section in stores but it’s such a great idea. Love how that sweater has the perfect amount of slouch to it!

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // Cycling Style | Style & Pepper March 4, 2014 at 7:00 am

[…] Keep reading to see more fun pics of my new friend, and for all the handy shopping info that goes along with the look… Spoiler alert: That camo cutie is yet another sweater from the men’s section! […]

• Reply London carpet cleaners March 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Gorgeous look! Love the stiped sweater!

• Reply Trendwatch // Five Nods to Nautical | Style & Pepper August 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

[…] Me in a striped sweater & white skort […]

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // Slow Snow | Style & Pepper February 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

[…] of donning sunnies and shorts for a weekend on the water, I’m layered up in as many cold-weather pieces as my […]

• Reply https://about.me/ April 14, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I don’t like suffering, therefore, worry has been a compelling force
    in my personal growth. The sailboat was coming slowly into the marina under
    power. It is a burr under my saddle, a spur in my side, I am learning to harness it
    and take it for a ride, like a bucking bronco, riding out of
    the tight pen into an expansive field.