Get Fit // 5 Tips That Get Me to the Gym

January 14, 2014

IMG_9509Would you believe these are active wear leggings? I KNOW!

Getting your cute little butt to the gym is something that is WAY more likely to happen if you can make it one of the easiest parts of your day.

I have a handful of little tricks that help me slip right out the door before I’m able to procrastinate with a clever work excuse OR get distracted by the fluffy puppy who begs me to snuggle with her on the couch.

IMG_9454

Click through to read about the five things that keep me moving in the morning, and share your own in the comments below!

IMG_9472

Jessie’s Get-to-the-gym Tricks!

1. Keep your gear in sight // My two current pairs of sneakers (always Nike, always on rotation) are neatly tucked under the table right inside my bedroom door, and that makes grabbing them on my way out a cinch.  I also keep a drawer nearby that is fully stocked with a few other gym essentials including these cute headbands, a combination lock, leg warmers (I KNOW), my heart rate monitor & favorite earbuds.
  2. Sleep in your sports bra // I know of a lot of people who sleep in their entire workout get-up, but that sounds just plain uncomfortable to me.  These adjustable sports bras are one of my favorite gym staples, and if I wake up in one, it makes it feel like I’m already halfway ready to head out the door.  (Plus, they look great under regular clothes and they’re under $10 a piece!)
  3. Bring entertainment // Whether it’s your heart-pumping playlist or a thought-provoking podcast… Put those headphones on and let your gym time become your “me-time.”  Certain machines make it easy to read on a tablet device, and even the elliptical can feel like an indulgence when you’re pouring through the Hunger Games trilogy for the first time.
  4. Schedule your sessions // One of the things I love about group classes is that they fall regularly on a certain date and time, and go on my calendar just like a doctor’s appointment or work meeting.  This is also a great way to make friends with the other regulars, which is a major perk when you work from home like I do. :)  Another great part of this can be grouping your workout in with your other errands, and by tossing a cute comfy tunic over your leggings and adding some tall boots and accessories, you’re ready to go straight from the locker room to lunch!
  5. Find an activity you love // In a single week, you can find me doing everything from pilates to swimming laps to jump rope intervals to indoor cycling to running, and not only is cross training good for your body AND your brain, but it just plain keeps me from getting bored.  My suggestion would be to keep sampling different things until you find something that feels challenging and fun, and then develop a routine that you can customize by switching things up from there.

IMG_9462
Top to Bottom // Old Navy tank, pullover hoodie sweatshirt* (the comfiest!) & my trusty compression leggings* again, Ballet flats are old (but these are gorgeous!) // * notes a gifted item

IMG_9473
Top to Bottom // G’s beanie, J. Crew scarf, Tinley Road coat, Oscar de la Renta belt, Old Navy tunic dress & active wear leggings, Vince Camuto boots (via TJ Maxx), Figue tote* // * notes a gifted item

IMG_9432

Not much of a gym goer at all?  Try my park bench workout, check out my running essentials, and share your favorite go-to sweat session in the comments!

This post was kindly brought to you by Old Navy.
Check out Old Navy’s latest fashion lineup in store or online at oldnavy.com.

• Reply Casey January 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Ah these are really good tips and something I definitely need. I just cannot ever seem to stick with a gym program. It is torture for me. I think you are definitely right about finding something you love to do for a work out. Maybe I will try to take a dance class :) xx
    Casey

• Reply Jessie Artigue January 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yes, you should TOTALLY try dance, Casey! The mental component of following along and remembering the moves makes it go by SO quickly. Let me know if you like it! Is there a studio or community center near your house?

• Reply Sarah January 14, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I recently discovered the joy of wearing activewear leggings instead of tights- so comfy and warm, and you get to avoid that digging-into-your-stomach thing that can happen from tights (someone assure me I’m not the only one this happen to…). Both your gym and street looks are lovely!

:) Sarah

• Reply Jessie Artigue January 18, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I know exactly what you’re talking about with the “digging”… Ugh – SO uncomfortable. Do you have a certain pair that you love? I’m pretty stocked from a recently sale at Old Navy (plus I LOVE their workout wear), but am always look for new types!

• Reply carla schwartz January 14, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for the tips. I need them to get me going.

• Reply Alissa January 15, 2014 at 1:03 am

GREAT tips! xo

• Reply Ashley January 15, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Loved this post! I admittedly am one of those people who from time to time sleeps in my workout gear, but it works!

• Reply Jessie Artigue January 18, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hey, if isn’t broken – Don’t fix it! :) Glad to hear I’m not the only one who resorts to semi-crazy feeling measures! HA.

• Reply Rosie January 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Not a gym person myself……. I was really good at working out in the yard, but just before Christmas, our dog of 17.5 years crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and since then, I’ve struggled to even go out for laundry. He used to ‘help’ with my workouts.

We are looking to move locations in the next few weeks, so walking (I used to run a lot, but my knees no longer allow that), and bike riding as well as yard workouts will get back into gear.

Making exercise a habit is probably the best thing I can think of – once you get past the first month of Urgh! it feels funny if you miss.

• Reply Jessie Artigue January 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Oh, Rosie – I’m SO sorry to hear about your pup passing away. I can completely relate to not feeling like your “old” self, and will be praying for you to find peace. Wish I could hug you through the screen!

In the meantime, it’s great to hear that you have some exciting developments coming up, and looks like there will be ample activity in the near future! :) Walking/running around new our new neighborhoods after we move (or travel) is one of my favorite ways to multi-task: You get to know your surroundings so much better on foot, AND you’re getting some exercise in at the same time!

Thanks for your comment, and please keep me posted on how everything goes! XO

• Reply Weekend Roundup - January 18, 2014 - Bright Bold and Beautiful January 19, 2014 at 7:47 am

[…] “Get to the Gym” tricks like “sleeping in your sports […]

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // Printed Pixie Pants | Style & Pepper March 20, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] Keep reading for the rest of the look, and please promise me that you’ll send in reinforcements if there ever comes a day where you see me staying in stretchy-pants for far too long. […]

• Reply Jen June 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I found that the most effective way to drag my butt out of bed is to sleep early! =)

• Reply Get Fit // Casual Cross Training – Style & Pepper April 3, 2016 at 9:33 am

[…] Cute Gear – Instead of wearing a 10-yr-old t-shirt and paint stained leggings (which is what I have on at this very moment), I love putting on the kind of workout wear that will keep me from feeling schlumpy if I end up popping into a few stores to run a few errands at the same time. The look I’m wearing in these photos is a set from Fabletics (who does all the pairing work for you!) but I’m also a big proponent of simply combining some of your favorite pieces with a regular outfit for a multifunctional look. […]