Concrete Catwalk // Unexpected Sweater

October 17, 2013

IMG_6718

Weekend adventures around the city have been so good to us lately!

This past Saturday, we ventured over to Roosevelt Island for another picnic date by the water, and this time spent the entire afternoon noshing on goodies from this great little spot, and sipping our pinot noir while watching the clouds go by – a line-up I could seriously get used to!

Since we’re getting closer and closer to having truly Fall-feeling daytime temps, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to bust out the little GEM of a sweater (Is it a pony or a unicorn? I can’t decide!) that I found in a fairly unexpected place recently…  Click through to find out about where my latest little treasure came from, and to see the full look in all it’s leather-and-floral-layered glory!

IMG_6558

Top to Bottom // Sunnies – c/o C. Wonder, Collared tankOld Navy, Crystal triangle necklace (similar) – Bauble Bar, Unicorn sweaterOld Navy, Leather shorts (similar) – c/o Lovers & Friends, Handbag – Vintage, thrifted, Floral tights (similar) – Hanes, Booties – c/o G by Guess

I’ve been seeing these fun critter sweaters pop up everywhere recently, but hadn’t quite found the right one until an accidental stumble into the children’s section of Old Navy the other day!  This one is actually a little girls size large, and I love how the slim fit has enough length for my long torso without being as roomy as some of the adult versions.  Definitely goes to show that shopping outside your department can sometimes lead to surprises you’d never have found otherwise!

Reminds me just a bit of this men’s slim fit plaid shirt that I’ve worn in a few other fun looks this past year – Once to cinch the waist of a paisley dress, and a few weeks ago to add a tomboyish touch to some snakeprint denim.

Alright, now give it to me straight… Am I nuts for trespassing into the little girl’s section?  Have you ever intentionally committed such a risky style-related scandal?

P.S. – Looking for a little extra style-spice?  Check out the last time I wore these leather shorts and the spring-time style up of the same pair of floral tights!

IMG_6803

IMG_6637

IMG_6690

IMG_6573

IMG_6540

IMG_6731

IMG_6853

IMG_6755

This post was kindly brought to you by Old Navy.
Check out Old Navy’s latest fashion lineup in store or online at oldnavy.com.

• Reply Rachelle October 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

Love this cute sweater and you tights are so pretty. You look gorgeous as always.

• Reply FripperyVintage October 17, 2013 at 9:53 am

Very cute, you styled it perfectly!

• Reply Alecia October 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

so cute. Let’s go with unicorn. And too funny you got this in the kids section – never thought to look there.

• Reply paige - house of ginger October 17, 2013 at 12:45 pm

that sweater is at OLD NAVY?! want. i’ll get one for zoey AND for me. hahah!

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

Right?!?! No joke – I have very fond memories of matching with my own Mama when I was little. Granted, they were cheesy Easter dresses instead of super-cool unicorn sweaters, but I know that’s one of the million things that makes you one of the coolest mama’s I know. :)

• Reply FatFreeFashion October 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Absolutely not! The kids section is the petite ladies best kept secret- Zara is particularly good for it.

Love that unicorn sweater!

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 19, 2013 at 11:04 am

I now know the secret!!! :) I’m definitely not very petite, and with my broad shoulders and long torso, I could hardly believe it worked for me. Definitely going to have me shopping with a more open mind!

• Reply Heidi @ idieh design October 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Love that sweater and necklace! Looks like I need to get to Old Navy…STAT! xoxo

• Reply Berty Morales October 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I love this entire look. Specially those tights. You look amazing as usual.

• Reply maggie October 18, 2013 at 5:44 am

Great find on the sweater! Love the tattoo tights. I hadn’t found a pair that I like yet but those are great and styled very well!

• Reply Angela October 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

What lipstick do you have on? It is beautiful! This sweater is beyond adorable on you!

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks, girl! It’s Nars heat wave (my fave orangey-red)… Have you tried it?

• Reply Angela October 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I have not, but I’ve heard amazing things. I will have to add it to my list!

• Reply Veronika (Girl & Closet) October 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

The sweater is so darling. And I love that you gave it a bit of edge with the leather shorts & booties. And yup, I’ve wondered into the little girls section before… and may have left with a thing or two!! ;)

xo
    By The Shore, a life + style blog

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 19, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thanks, chickadee! I can totally see you rocking this very same piece!

• Reply Toyosi October 19, 2013 at 12:18 am

THAT SWEATER. Totally lovin’ the pony. So cute!

I literally shop in almost every section, I love looking at dresses in the girls section of J.Crew because they often make lookalikes of their women dresses! Also, boys button downs fit me the best since I have zero curves. If it fits, it fits!

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

So funny – I’ve totally found things in the little boys section before – especially at thrift stores (vintage t-shirts, little shrunken blazers, etc) – but the button down is a VERY good idea! Thanks for the tip, girl!

• Reply jaana October 21, 2013 at 1:40 am

this is baaaasically the best sweater i’ve ever seen. can’t believe it’s old navy. and i love that you paired it with leatha!

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Haha – Thanks! I love that you said “Leatha!” ;) XOXO

• Reply Concrete Catwalk // | Style & Pepper October 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

[…] unexpected pieces to help me ease into the change in weather.  (Did it last week, too – Shorts in the fall, and I’m on a […]

• Reply Kansas Couture October 21, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Love this look, lady! And you’re not crazy at all. I regularly scope out the kids’ section. :) In fact, I snagged the fox sweater at Old Navy!

Hope you’re well! xo