Date Night // Sunset Picnic & Batting Cages

September 27, 2013

IMG_5717

Mr. Pepper and I have been married for just over six years now (together for almost nine!), and though I’m thankful for our marriage everyday, I’m a little embarrassed to say that we’ve never been the best at actually going on official date-nights.  When we first started spending time together, we were still in college and already really close friends so “going out” involved grabbing burritos at the best Mexican food spot in San Diego, hitting up our favorite comedy clubs & hanging out with our shared group of pals.

The fact that friendship is still one of the mainstays of our marriage can often mean that hanging out doing everyday stuff or spending time with other couples feels just as fun as something fancier, you know?  I think we do a pretty good job of traveling and exploring when we can, but battling the unavoidable busy work schedules (raise your hand if you can relate!), can mean that the official planned-out date-night just doesn’t happen for us all that often.

IMG_5646

A few months ago, I heard about a dating site called HowAboutWe and was equal parts excited/intrigued to find out that it’s not just for singles! You can use the site regardless of dating/marriage status, and it is really more of a hub to find cool things to do in your city, while finding great deals and being able to easily invite someone to join you.

I’m so excited to tell you that we’ve teamed up with HowAboutWe for Couples to bring you a new featured series here on S&P called Date Night, and hopefully it will inspire you to inject a little adventure into your own play time – no matter what your dating status might be!

Click through to hear about our own first experience with the site, and be sure to sign up here to get $50 off your first date* with our special S&P link!

*Applies to new members only, Expires 12/31/2013.

IMG_5650

On our first HowAboutWe for Couples date, I knew that I wanted to do something to take advantage of this glorious fall weather we’ve been having before being outside becomes too chilly to handle.  A picnic in the park and an evening at the batting cages seemed like a good place to start, and I was pleasantly surprised by how something so simple ended up feeling quite special.

IMG_5768

IMG_5745

Heavy appetizers (watermelon salad! veggies! cheese!) and portable drinks (we love our Vita Coco!) made for the perfect compliment to watching the sunset from Chelsea Waterfront Park, and as simple as it may sound – It was SO nice to cozy up on the blanket (sans smartphones) and watch the boats and people go by after we finished eating.

IMG_5780

On the quick walk to the sports complex at Chelsea Piers, we both laughed about how long it had been since we swung a bat… We both played softball/baseball during high school and childhood, and figured it had been at  least 1o years for each of us (not counting the office team I played on when we lived in Kansas City – HA)!  One of the things that I thought was pretty cute was that G mentioned how much he liked that I picked something for us to do together that was a little more oriented towards his interests. :)

IMG_5811

batting-cages

Ready for Fall in my plaid shirt from Crossroads Trading Co.! And YES those ARE sensible baseball shoes…

I have to say that one of the best parts about the site is that after you sign up for a membership and reserve a spot for one of the activities in your Datebook, the site actually takes care of all of the reservations, and all you have to do is invite your partner and show up for the time and date that you confirmed!  Almost like having a personal assistant to plan it all out for you, and that is a luxury that I would not have guessed can really make a difference in enjoying your time spent actually going on the date.

We’ve had fun taking turns picking out the next several excursions, and you can bet that comedy clubs, food crawls & more outdoor adventures will definitely be in the mix!

IMG_5833

And because hardly any occasion (date night, or otherwise!) is complete without a pit-stop for a treat – We just HAD to stop by the closest fro-yo spot on our way home. :)

This post is kindly brought to you by HowAboutWe for Couples.

how about we

Thanks so much for supporting the sites that help make S&P possible!

• Reply Renate September 27, 2013 at 7:17 am

This sounds so cute :) And such a great idea! It’s so important to keep the dating phase going. Lovely!

Renate from http://thecuriousklutz.blogspot.com

• Reply FripperyVintage September 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

What a great idea and it looks like you two had so much fun together.

• Reply beckynally September 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Loving the camo! Where from? I have a date night with my husband tonight and I can’t wait!! XO

Becky

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 30, 2013 at 8:51 am

Awww, how fun! Hope you guys had a GREAT time…

The jacket is from a little store in Newport Beach (can’t remember the name), but have seen so many other great ones recently – Will let you know if I find a good one! XO

• Reply Jessica (Coco/Mingo) September 27, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You guys are SO SO CUTE!! This looked like an amazing date night! My bf and I are kind of the same way…we don’t go on many “dates” with our busy schedules but do every now and then. We love going to the Chelsea Piers, too! He’s been wanting to go to the batting cages and you just solidified how fun it looks! We usually hit balls at the golf range :) I’m so glad you guys had a fun time together – and a big Congrats on such a wonderful and long relationship!! I’ll need to pick your brain one day about your secret to a great marriage! :)

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 30, 2013 at 8:52 am

You can pick my brain on that ANYday, my dear! :) How fun that you guys go to the Piers, too… Maybe we’ll bump into each other for a double date there someday!!!

• Reply BROTHER September 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Why do you have the best life ever in the perfect city with a great marriage? …While I’m just over here like, “I’m gonna go home and have mom fix me a sandwich while I clean out the closet in dad’s office full of 37,000,000 baseball cards before they move 100 feet north of where they live now…”

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 30, 2013 at 8:53 am

Babycakes, you made me LAUGH OUT LOUD with this one… Enjoy mom’s sandwiches while they last, and get excited for your someday-wife to pop up when you least expect it and blow your mind with awesomeness. :) Can’t wait to meet her someday, and in the meantime – I’m your favorite girl, got it??? Xx

• Reply Kelly in the City September 28, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Loved this post! My husband and I struggle with the same thing. We are always together, but so often we’re hanging out with friends, too. We are trying to make a concerted effort this year to spend time alone. It’s been great so far! Thank you for the tip!

Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

The importance of this has definitely become more evident the longer that we’ve been married… So blessed to have other couples that we love and have fun with, but when you find the right balance of time, you’ll totally know! You’re on the right path, Lovie!

• Reply Fallon Carmichael | Sage + Sparkle September 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

what a cool concept! =)

• Reply Jenn October 4, 2013 at 10:46 am

This is such a cute idea! We get in such a rut with our date nights that lately they consist of netflix and pizza! Looking forward to when they expand out to DC. I’m sure there’s plenty around to do that we haven’t even thought of….

• Reply Jessie Artigue October 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I’ll try and keep you posted if I hear that they’re branching out to new cities… We’ve really enjoyed our new adventures! :)

• Reply Date Night // Gin & Tequila Tasting | Style & PepperStyle & Pepper November 20, 2013 at 8:50 am

[…] My hope is that reading about our experiences can inspire you to inject a little adventure into your own play time – no matter where you’re located or what your dating status might be.   Check out the full range of options (and cities) on the HowAboutWe site, and in the meantime, read about our last adventure here! […]