Let’s Dish // Summer Reading List

July 26, 2013

reading on the rocks

I’ve been absolutely devouring some of the books on my must-read list recently, and I think there is just something about summer that says it’s ok to stay up until the wee hours flipping pages and feeling inspired. Totally reminds me of growing up and being in no-bedtime summer-mode… I would literally read myself to sleep nearly every night, and actually looked forward to lengthy flights or road trips, because it meant more time to get lost in a good book.

I thought I’d share a few of the titles on my nightstand, and I’d love to know if you’ve picked up any of the same and whether or not you’ve got any others that I just can’t miss!

Recently finished:
+ Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
+ The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
+ Grace [Eventually] by Anne LaMott
+ The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

On-Deck:
+ Daring Greatly by Brene Brown (started it this week!)
+ The Icarus Deception by Seth Godin
+ I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron
+ Bossypants by Tina Fey

I hadn’t realized it before writing these out, but it looks like I’m on a humor-driven, self-help-y, business-related kick, huh? I’m actually quite surprised that there aren’t any novels included here, because those are almost always at the top of the list for me. (Love a good mystery!)

Have you read any great books recently? I’d love to hear your recommendations, and can’t wait to add a few new ones to my list!

PS. I know I mentioned last night that you’d be getting something a little juicier today on the blog, but I stayed up until 2am trying to get it just right, and the fact is: I’m just not ready to share yet. Hopefully a little extra polishing throughout the next week will make a difference, and thanks for being patient with me, you sweetie pies!

PPS. Daring Greatly is pretty much rocking my world right now, and I’m all buzzy and excited to share more with you about it very soon. ;)

*Image Credit*

• Reply Erin @ Thanks, I Made It July 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

Love mysteries too! I’ve been rereading the triology around Shadow of the Wind from Carlos Ruiz Zafon– soo good.

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 27, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Not familiar, but now I’m dying to know more!

• Reply Raych@MarriagebyDesign July 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

I LOVED Bossypants and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me. I’m reading The Paris Wife right now and its fabulous!

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 27, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Ooooh, The Paris Wife was on my list for so long, but I somehow forgot about it. Will have to pick it up soon – Thanks!

• Reply Rose July 26, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’ve read Mindy Kaling’s book & Tina Fey’s-loved them both! I also recently read The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, a book called The Starboard Sea, Just Kids by Patti Smith and am currently in the middle of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I have three other books I bought at the same time as Bryson’s that I’ll be working on next!

Rose
    Blonde in this City

• Reply Hope July 26, 2013 at 11:06 am

I just finished Looking for Alaska by John Green…I loved its heartbreaking honesty. Up next is some Barbara Kingsolver, Zadie Smith and maybe more John Green!

• Reply Danie Nordahl July 26, 2013 at 11:40 am

I loved Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and want to read Bossy Pants too. I so miss that about being younger. If I had my way I’d read constantly.

I recently read The Tea Rose by Jennifer Connelly, set in the late 1800’s in East London. It has a love story, a little mystery, some heartbreak, and a lot of girl power. I wrote about it on my blog, here…

I also just read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes, which made me cry openly in an airport. So good.

xo,
    Danie

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I love a good tearjerker, too (every once in a while)… Hopping over to read your review, and so happy that you weighed in!

• Reply FripperyVintage July 26, 2013 at 11:44 am

Just finished Revenge Wears Prada, it was fun and light, perfect summer reading.

• Reply Julia / Lemon Stripes July 28, 2013 at 11:04 am

Love the books on your list! I’ve read most of them and agree. You should read “Where’d You Go Bernadette”. It’s funny but kind of deep and a great summer ready!

xx,
    Julia
    Lemon Stripes

• Reply Allie Dickson July 29, 2013 at 4:37 am

I just finished 4 Hour Workweek as well!! I’m about to start Seth Godin’s Purple Cow and Mindy’s book too :)

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 29, 2013 at 9:16 am

Oh, I keep meaning to grab Purple Cow, too! Please let me know if you like it! :)

• Reply Nnenna July 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I love a good laugh so I enjoyed both Bossypants and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? I’m currently reading The Cuckoo’s Calling, then next will be Me Talk Pretty and after that I’m thinking I’ll start The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P (I’ve been hearing about it everywhere!).

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 31, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Oooh, I LOVE David Sedaris. :) Haven’t heard of The Love Affairs, but will definitely check it out!