Concrete Catwalk // Oleanders

May 6, 2013

Doesn’t it look a little like I’m walking in front of a giant popcorn bush?  These photos were taken when we were in AZ last week, and those oleander hedges that surround my parents back yard contain so many of my childhood memories… Watching the families of bunnies dart in and out, ducking under the lower branches into our “forts”, cutting the big fluffy blooms for my mom to arrange on the backyard table.

One of the things that I notice more and more every time we go back, is how incredibly tied to one place your heart and mind can seem.  (I feel similarly whenever we’re in Southern CA.)  Do you guys ever get that way when you visit your childhood home?

Keep reading to see the full look below, and I’d love to have you share in the comments section about where your “growing up” happened – It’s always so fun learning more about you here. :)

Top to Bottom:
Aviator sunnies – Banana Republic
Necklace – c/o Sorrelli
Blouse – Rae
Bralette – Cosabella
Envelope clutch – Francesca’s
Skirt – DVF, Crossroads Trading Co.
Lace-up platforms – Margiela MM6

Do you receive the S&P newsletter?
Be sure to stay in the know by signing up for the Spicy Scoop!

• Reply Rachelle May 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm

You look radiant, love your shoes.

xo

• Reply Megan O'Connor Mershon May 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Looking fantastic! I grew up in Northern California and the style I sported growing up has stuck with me, even in NYC. I always favor a denim jacket and sandals. You can take the girl out of California, but you can’t take the California out of the girl! XO Megan http://www.step-brightly.com

• Reply Jessie Artigue May 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Gotta love a classic denim jacket, right? I totally picture you sporting one while scooting around the city! :)

• Reply Samantha Tananbaum May 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm

You are so creative with color! Such a beautiful backdrop. Glad you had a great time at home with the fam!

xo
    Sam

• Reply Andrea Clare May 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm

love that skirt!!

• Reply Naomi May 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Mmm popcorn! Haha! Gorgeous outfit, my dear!

The Occasional Indulgence

• Reply Brittany LeSueur May 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Yeah…oleanders…Az’s version of cherry blossoms!! ha ha Love this outfit!!! and I’ve been dying to get my hands on a model and some blossomed oleanders. lovely pictures!

• Reply Jessie Artigue May 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Haha – Yes! Love the comparisons… oleander flowers and orange blossoms, right?! ;) I’m no model, but wish we could have coordinated a fun shoot while I was in town. Next time?! XO

• Reply Berty Morales May 6, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Great look and adoring the shoes.

• Reply Ali Cat May 8, 2013 at 1:44 am

Beautiful look. I grew up in a rough area in Brooklyn (Canarsie). When I was very little it was mob-controlled, then Bloods, then Bloods & Crips warring. When I was 6 or 7, a man was shot to death three feet away from me. I still worship and revere old Brooklyn in my memories but the reality is that it was a tough place to grow up with rampant racism, sexism, and crime. Amazing moments, too, with our own fireworks shows when every house on our block had a police officer or firefighter in the family. Or frequent trips to Coney Island, Riis Park, Nellie Bly. Block parties, boom boxes, stoop sales, funnel cakes, real pasta and bagels and pizza.

• Reply Jessie Artigue May 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

All incredible stories, Ali! Sounds like such an eye-opening and impactful upbringing, and I’m hoping that the joyful parts far outshine the scary ones now that you’re an adult. Ps – We still haven’t been to Coney Island since moving here! Hopefully this Summer. :)

• Reply Heather T. May 13, 2013 at 4:08 am

I grew up in Brooklyn for half of my life and Long Island for the other half. I like to think the Brooklyn half of my life helped to keep me grounded because the area of LI I grew up in is very wealthy and superficial….Brooklyn will always feel like my first home.