Life // Goodbye Jordan

April 30, 2013

Feeling so broken-hearted this morning… My big red dog went to be in heaven yesterday, and I can hardly think about anything else.

We’re back home in Hoboken now, but since I’ve been at my parents house in AZ for the past week, I was lucky enough to get to spend much of that time with him.  He’s been pretty sick for the past few months, and I still can’t believe that he waited until the morning that we left to finally give in to his failing body.  My parents and Gerard and I were with him when he died, and I wouldn’t trade those last moments for anything.

I’ve included a few puppy pictures and some fond memories below, and will be back tomorrow with regularly scheduled programming.

Puppy-boy!  Just a few weeks old.
He was the first of the litter, and named “Lucky” by his breeder family,
but we were the ones who’ve been so lucky to have him all these years.
(Changed his name to Jordan after we got him home.)

He slept in the bathroom when we first brought him home,
and I hated how sad it was that he cried for his mother,
so I slept curled up on the tile floor with him every single night.

Jordan’s favorite spot.
He was always so happy to be sitting around with the family,
and would stare at you intently if you thought that the spot was free for the taking.
  He was taller than I was, sitting down!  This guy had my heart.
He was only 8 and half when he died,
and was pretty sick during the last few years of his life.
I’m so thankful to know that he’s not in pain anymore.
Kissing me on Christmas morning.

Miss you, Jordy-boy – I can still feel your fuzzy nose and big hugs.
Thanks for being such a gift to our family, and bringing smiles to so many.
Do you receive the S&P newsletter?
Be sure to stay in the know by signing up for the Spicy Scoop!

• Reply Ali Cat April 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

What a beauty. I’m glad he got to be surrounded by people he loved in his last moments!

• Reply Jaclyn April 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Girl, you have me crying here with you. I had a Golden too that passed about 6 years ago, but she was amazing. Jordan seemed like she had an amazing life and you are right.. she is no longer suffering! Praying for your heart today ;)

• Reply heather April 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I am sorry for your loss and am glad you got to see your Jordy one last time. Our pets are so much a part of the family it is sad to see them go.

• Reply le style child April 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm

i am so sorry :< keep calm and carry on x

• Reply Niki Caron April 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your post brought tears to my eyes because I know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially due to sickness. But your photos made me laugh through my tears. That couch! He so obviously had such a wonderful life and was lucky to have you. All my love to you and your family during this difficult time. xoxo

• Reply kristin casamassina April 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

So sorry for your loss – my family beagle passed away a few months back and I was grateful I was able to spend a few moments with her before she passed as you did with your dog. Seems like you had some wonderful memories that you will cherish always :)

• Reply Jennifer Boyd April 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

My heart goes out to you, it’s always hard to loose a beloved pet.

• Reply Sara B April 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Such a sweet tribute to Jordan, Jessie. I loved that sweet doggy and am so sad he is no longer with your family. So glad you got to spend those precious moments with him. Love you!!

• Reply nancyfrancis April 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

:( Losing a pet is so hard – good to see that you have lovely memories to keep with you!

• Reply Alex April 30, 2013 at 10:58 pm

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Jordan!!! I’m so glad I got to meet him. I can’t believe he passed away. I’m so sorry, Jessie. I’m glad that you were able to be with him when he left this world. Big hugs to you.

• Reply Anonymous April 30, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Our dogs are like family too & I can’t imagine.

• Reply jennine April 30, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your family dog. He looks like he was an awesome guy.

• Reply Bree (or Brie) Holderby May 1, 2013 at 12:10 am

This makes me cry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet, Lucky almost died last year due to surgery gone wrong, and it was such a hard week for us. My family labrador passed away while I was living in Italy and it broke my heart that I never got to say goodbye, I’m so happy you were able to be with him during his last hours. I’ll be praying for you and your family, Jessie!

• Reply caffinatedlove May 1, 2013 at 12:41 am

My husband and I adopted a kitten right before we got married, and we raised him up as our “child”, if you will. He’s with me right not, actually, curling up in my lap and purring, in the way as I try to type. Reading your beautiful story about your pup made me extra grateful to get kitty kisses tonight. <3 I'm sorry for your loss; a pet can be such an intricate part of a family.

love,
    a

• Reply Anonymous May 1, 2013 at 9:48 am

So sorry for your loss. So hard to lose pets. Can’t wait to see all of my pets in heaven if I make it because I know they did!

• Reply Samantha Tananbaum May 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Awww, so sorry to hear about your pup! He was such a cutie, and I hope you have many happy memories with him! xo

• Reply Laurie May 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Oh the tears flowed when I read this — I am so sorry! He is a beautiful little angel! My pup has my heart too and it always seems so cruel that animals leave us so soon. Hope you have lots of good memories to keep you smiling.

• Reply Lauren May 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I am so sorry! We lost our Golden boy a couple years ago when he was only 7 and I still occasionally burst into tears when I think of him. I’m glad you got to be with him during his last week. I’m sure he felt so loved!

• Reply Jordan McBride May 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Jessie, sending my condolences your way! I lost my Golden, Bentley, at the ripe old age of 15.5 in 2009. I’m still not over it. But this helps… it’s part of the Eulogy of the Dog by George Graham Vest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Graham_Vest):

“The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.”

Hope that brings you some peace as it does for me. Goldens are the very best. :)

P.S. I’m a fellow Phoenician… you went to Arcadia right? We have lots of friends in common (I’m XCP ’02).

• Reply Jessie Artigue May 16, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Jordan! Thank you so much for your thoughtful response… I absolutely LOVED that link you included and am going to respond to the rest via email. :) Lots of love! XO

• Reply Jordan McBride May 17, 2013 at 3:01 pm

• Reply cait - pretty and fun May 10, 2013 at 3:20 am

So sorry for your loss, lady. Losing a pet is always so difficult, especially when you have a connection like you & Jordan so obviously had.

xo.