Healthy Living // Lean Cuisine Roundtable

September 18, 2012
L to R: Brad Farmerie, Lucien Vendome, Michelle Bernstein, Elizabeth Karmel, Paul Kahan, Lior Lev Sercarz

When Lean Cuisine, invited me to join them for their innovative Culinary Roundtable meet-up in Northern California a few weeks ago, I literally jumped (yes, up and down!) at the opportunity and was so excited for the chance to observe the brilliance of the best chefs, culinary experts and restaurateurs behind the brand (team pictured above).  I just love an organization that embraces their story, and Lean Cuisine’s line of creative and healthy frozen meals is truly a great example of a company who holds freshness, flavor & innovation at the forefront of everything that they do.

Keep reading for a full run-down of my experience (complete with lots of photos – including a farm-inspired outfit!), and stay tuned for more fresh and flavorful cooking features here on the site!

Rows and rows of pepper plants nestled at the foothills of Morgan Hill, CA

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a huge consumer of frozen foods, and almost always reach for something fresh and local if I’m going to whip up something to eat.  That said, not everyone has access to or time for sourcing, preparing & creating wholesome meals from scratch, and that’s when I think it’s more than acceptable (and in many cases completely necessary) to call in the back-ups for an acceptable stand-in.  Perfect example: I know I’ve only got a few minutes for lunch today, so I’ll be reaching for my favorite vegetarian option here, and I love knowing that it will fill me up and fuel my body with what it needs until dinner!

These lettuce fields had just been harvested,
but I couldn’t get over the left-over colors and pretty hills in the background.

One of the most unique parts of our trip was actually getting to visit George Chiala Farms in Morgan Hill, CA, which is one of the resources that Lean Cuisine gets their fresh vegetables from.  I really appreciated that we got a chance to spend some time actually in the fields, and sampling kale straight from the ground was quite a tasty new experience for me!  Later that morning, we visited the processing facility where the fresh goods are flash frozen hardly minutes after being harvested (and sans preservatives) using some refreshingly basic concepts and very fancy equipment.

I was totally amazed by the technology used to make sure that every fruit and veggie that makes it into a Lean Cuisine is as deliciously ripe and nutrient-rich as possible, and I had no idea how closely the nutrition profile of the frozen ingredients used matches up with the items that you or I can find at the farmer’s market each week.

Tasty Tidbit #1 // The average sodium level found across Lean Cuisine’s 131 dishes is 650 mg… that’s under 1/3 of the recommended USDA daily intake, and less than one tablespoon of soy sauce!!!

My attempt at in-the-fields fashion!!!
Get the look: Straw farmer’s hat (shop), round vintage sunnies (shop),
LA Made t-shirt (shop), grey skinny jeans (shop),
re-usable tote (shop), ankle moto boots (shop).

Kick-butt kale-pickers –  I think they liked my outfit. :)

Such a beautiful spread!

The entire trip was filled with meals upon incredible meals, but this ridiculously gorgeous and delicious spread must have been my favorite.  The table was set in the backyard of one of the Chiala Family homes, and the entire centerpiece was made from fresh fruits and veggies from the gardens.  One of their main crops on the farm is garlic, and the dessert at this particular lunch was a chocolate and adobo chili torte with roasted garlic glaze on top… Definitely an interesting combination, but for this savory-spicy loving gal – it was legendary!

Loved the light fixtures laced with vines of homegrown hops and poppy colored peppers!

After our very fancy farmhouse experience, we left Morgan Hill for the Culinary Institute of America in Napa, CA.  The kitchens there were something right out of my dreams, and that was where the “real” work began. :)  Amidst lots of discussion about the value system of Lean Cuisine, and how it impacts every single aspect of the product, we managed to taste-test ourselves silly, and I honestly was full for days and days to follow.

The Lean Cuisine product development team and roundtable chefs
ready to dig-in and provide feedback on each others test dishes.

It was a pretty amazing to sample, discuss and watch the upcoming products be developed as the chefs prepared several different versions of sauce and garnish options for some of the new dishes that will be rolled out next year.  The collaborative attitude of the chefs was incredibly humbling and inspiring, and it was such an honor to be able to brainstorm with and learn new techniques from some of the best in the nation.

Lior Lev Sercarz whipping up a custom blend for his special sauce…
The smells of the spices while they were toasting was just totally beyond!

Another element of the trip that I loved was getting to know one of my new favorite flavorful friends… In addition to being a chef, Lior Lev Sercarz is a Spiceologist (#bestjobtitleever) and the owner of La Boite a Epice here in NYC, and he has a line of the most amazing and creative spice blends you can imagine.  I’ve been using three different jars of his best sellers ever since returning home, and they have seriously upped my cooking game.

The goods before getting toasted and ground into a tasty mix.

Tasty Tidbit #2 // Lior taught us that using a coffee grinder is the most efficient way to get custom ground spices, and only ever recommends using a mortar and pestle for muddling herbs or making pastes.

Tasty Tidbit #3 // Another fun trick we learned from my friend Brad Farmerie (of NYC’s Public & Saxon + Parole), was to peel ginger by scraping off the skin with the blunt end of a spoon.  It wastes much less of the good part than using a paring knife or veggie peeler does, and you’re much less likely to cut yourself while navigating around those tricky bends and knots.
 Stopping in the midst of the kale plant rows, we nabbed a quick photo op.
(Gotta love the unapologetically cheesy linked-arm pose!)
L to R:  Kate Morin, Lucien Vendome, Brad Farmerie, ME, Michelle Bernstein,
 Lior Lev Sercarz, Paul Kahan, Elizabeth Karmel, Robin Dorian

Overall, I can hardly believe that I was able to experience such an incredible time with the folks that help create such an iconic brand, and I’m excited to continue to follow all of the amazing and innovative things that Lean Cuisine has in store for the upcoming seasons and products.  It was incredible to see that the team shares many key values with the very consumers who purchase their product, and it was a delight to make those personal connections over food and share a passion for cuisine in such a creative environment.

I’d love to hear about your own personal experience with Lean Cuisine’s line of frozen dishes, and if you’ve got a favorite I need to try – be sure to tell me in the comments!

Disclosure: My travel and accommodations were generously provided by Lean Cuisine, but no compensation was exchanged for this post.  All words, thoughts & opinions expressed are true-to-the-core and 100% my own, and I’m so thankful to be able to share about my trip with you in this way!

• Reply Kristen September 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I don’t really ever eat frozen meals but this sounds like a great experince and gives me a better feeling about what goes into preparing their meals. Did you mean ginger not garlic in tasty tidbit #3?

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Yes, Kristen! Thanks for pointing that out… I totally had garlic on the brain from describing the super-yum chocolatey dessert earlier in the post!!!

• Reply laura parke September 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

what a fun trip, jessie! i loved reading about it. i’ve been a long time fan of lean cuisine when i’m in a hurry or don’t have time to pack a fresh lunch. one of my favorites is the butternut squash ravioli…fall flavors all year round and so tasty!

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

The butternut squash ravioli is DEFinitely in my top-three, Laura! (Have a few in the freezer right now!) Also recently tried and loved the mushroom mezzaluna ravioli over my own balsamic-wilted spinach and fresh tomatoes. :)

• Reply Meghan Donovan September 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

such an amazing experience – love all your details from the trip! and naturally, i’m obsessed with napa – it’s the california girl in me :) XX

• Reply nancyfrancis September 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’m happy to hear about the quality and values that go into the creation of Lean Cuisine! I too try to stick to fresh food, but like to keep a Lean Cuisine or two at home and work for those ‘just in case’ meals!

• Reply Molly Meisenzahl September 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I used to LOVE lean cuisine – The Chicken with Almonds was always my favorite. However, due to recent health findings, the sodium is a big factor for me and I aim for only 1000mg, which gives me a little wiggle room. I sure do miss the convenience – and I feel that they have really stepped up their game in the flavor and variety department in the past few years. Sounds like a great experience, though!

• Reply Pili's style September 19, 2012 at 12:08 am

i looove the pictures! looks like a fun! haha

• Reply Happiness at Mid Life September 19, 2012 at 4:30 am

Sounds like a great experience. I personally are against eating frozen entrees they have way too much sodium and the food is too processed. I hope that they do try and make it as healthy as possible.

Alice

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m usually the same way, Alice, but I think you’d be surprised at how little sodium/processing goes into Lean Cuisines, specifically. I know I was certainly shocked, and now have become a huge fan after learning about the company’s commitment to minimal processing and flash freezing as a preservation method (as opposed to using sodium)! Listening firsthand to them speak about their goal of nutritious convenience foods has made me re-think my earlier stance.

• Reply Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 12:30 am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in
    it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead
    of that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

Also visit my site Monroe Valerie

• Reply Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

Then you should have fallen alternative. To become insanely very high power
    bills that you can slice? Far better operate using
    the preparation inside a 18-month couple of years.
    And my mom transfered now on to a great number of works of fiction so that you can lady’s speed-reading capability of the seven day period, I truly wandered for the stockpile, and discovered the joy of researching.

Also visit my web blog: Doria Novembre

• Reply Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Specific model are useful to lukewarm other good snacks to more so cooked sandwiches.
    Will a attached related velvety steamed seafood using a outstanding bed or crib regarding crisp plants stimulate
    the particular appetite? Which is why, some of the given land may well be more well-liked in contrast to unfurnished benefits.
    That it less complicated to refreshing when you are done with the help of.

Take a look at my blog post: 24 inch electric wall oven microwave combo

• Reply Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Unconventional dining room business owners reminiscent of Applebee’s, Chili’s, to Big t.
    Grams.We all. Roland may not set off even so definitely pretty manifest a constant dork
    video achieve for the requirements have the ability to weeks time all the way through more
    or less all 5 different categories. Undertake dining currency
    broker (how the years ago trophy off ‘cook’ is also past it to your another housewife) is required to focus on genuine spend garbage disposal will.

It can be attractive. The employees contemplate taking the place of each of our website
    by hand gone through your own information principal make 100% convinced you’ve got unplugged the unit.

Feel free to visit my web-site :: 27 wall oven microwave combo reviews

• Reply Anonymous June 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

Preparing products off bodily fluids clearly is an essential use of mixers.

It’s a very important factor from which to become resonant. Relating to great and elegance, Cuisinart is the SmartPower Most recognized 600-Watt Blender.

Feel free to surf to my blog – kitchenaid blender parts ksb5

• Reply Anonymous June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Port preaches just what he / she specializes in. Wish to consider
    price tags just two the latest models involve cool features to
    help make the liking less cumbersome on the subject picking the right one for you.
    Inside scientific study for molecule pursuit with regard to carrot veggie juice completed getting various kinds juice extractors executed by Michael jordan Donaldson Doctor of philosophy inside
    the learned that charge discussed buying a low cost centrifugal juice machine introduced enzyme Peroxidase process
    on throughout 90% than that appearing in grease constructed of a great deal expensively priced generation devices.

This may be first-rate when you’re conscious purely only desire to create a person morceau there isn’t squander
    at any. They may be cheap of the several electric battery juicers these days, terribly
    these are a most wonderful choice this sort of during anxious budget allowed.

My homepage – stand Mixers cheap

• Reply Nutrish & Delish // 10 Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes | Style & Pepper January 26, 2014 at 11:06 am

[…] out about 10 great ways to cook kale, and take a peek at my adventure last year to see me pick it straight from the farm and shove it in my mouth! […]