Recipe // Rustic Summer Tuna Salad

July 31, 2012

Delicious veggie & protein-filled dish for one, coming right up!

I eat some version of this tasty meal almost every day that I’m home for lunch, and because you can sub in virtually any type of raw veggies, It’s always a little different and I never get sick of it.  To make, simply toss all of the ingredients below in a bowl, and you’ve got yourself some serious yum.  No cooking/heating necessary and since everything comes straight from the fridge, it’s sure to chill you out in no time.

The Goods:
+ One 5 oz. can of all-white albacore in water, drained (I like Bumble Bee because it’s dolphin safe!)
+ 1/2 cucumber, chopped, peel left on
+ Handful of jalapeno and garlic stuffed green olives (you can use any variety you like!)
+ One stalk (plus leaves) of chopped celery
+ One handful of garbanzo beans/cooked chickpeas
+ Quick drizzle of balsamic vinegar (in love with the fig-infused flavor we buy from our farmer’s market)
+ A few generous pinches of freshly grated parmesan cheese
+ A few shakes each of salt, pepper, garlic powder and of course my beloved crushed red peppers (last one obviously optional)

Added bonus: It travels well so it makes a great take-to-work option, and on the days that I need to serve up two portions, I just split it up and pile each half-serving on a bed of raw spinach or steamed kale.

I used to love coming up with yummy things to bring with me when I worked at an office, but sometimes feel challenged to actually sit down and enjoy a meal when I’m home.  I’m always so much more satisfied when I do though, and my little Rustic Summer Salad creation has given me reason to look forward to a nice nutritious meal instead of just grazing on snacks throughout the afternoon…

I’d love to know – What do you guys normally eat for lunch?  Are you cool with last night’s leftovers, or are you a make-from-scratch kinda gal?

• Reply Natasha Fatah July 31, 2012 at 11:37 am

That looks so great Jessie!
    Yup, if leftovers are around I’m happy to have ’em for lunch. But honestly, most of the time at work, lunch is usually just a coffee. The shame.

I’m hosting a giveaway, so please feel free to pop by and enter. :)

~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Reply Jessie Artigue August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Just coffee??! Girl, when I read this, I could hear your little tummy grumbling all the way from here! We gotta get you some grub! ;)

• Reply April July 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I know what I’m making for dinner tonight!

• Reply christin July 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Um this IS the perfect lunch. I need to make this on the asap!

• Reply Courtney July 31, 2012 at 5:39 pm

This looks awesome! I love light, healthy lunches that pack a lot of flavor and good stuff to fuel me into the afternoon. I hate tossing food, so I definitely pack a lot of leftovers, but on days when there aren’t any, I throw some lettuce and all the veggies I can find into my lunch bag for a big salad at the office. I’ll definitely be working this one into the lunch rotation. Thanks!

• Reply Jessie Artigue August 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Totally with you on the not-wasting-food thing… G affectionately calls me his “Katniss” (only makes sense if you’ve read The Hunger Games) because of my ability to make a meal out of a very random assortment of things from the fridge/pantry!

• Reply Christina July 31, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Can’t wait to try this! Thx for sharing Jessie!

• Reply ellen. July 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm

YUM! this looks amazing!

• Reply Kristin and Lindsay: Passport To Style August 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

looks yummy! i’ll have to try!

-Passport to Style Team

• Reply Shoe August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This looks great! I make a very similar version of this that I call Tuscan tuna and white bean salad, with canned tuna, grape tomatoes, cucumber, cannellini beans, lemon juice, olive oil, s&p and chopped parsley. It’s definitely my go to lunch that’s super easy to throw together in a pinch, and I never get sick of it! I love the idea of a “tuna salad” without all the mayonaise-ness, so I’m excited to try your version!

• Reply Jessie Artigue August 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Oooh, love the idea of adding the tomatoes… Will try the lemon juice next time I make it, as well! Thanks for the ideas, and happy to swap-salads with someone that has such great taste! ;)

• Reply Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Its suсh as you rеaԁ my mind! You seem to understand so much аρprοximately this, liκe you wгоtе the
    e boоκ іn it or something. I think
    thаt you cаn dо ωith a feω ρ.

с. to fоrce the mеѕsage home a bіt, however іnsteаd of thаt, thаt is magnificent blog.
    A great rеad. I’ll definitely be back. batavi.wiki.iceshop.nl

• Reply Anonymous March 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Greetіngs from Cаrolina! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can’t wаіt to takе
    a loοk ωhen I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not еven using
    WӀFI, јust 3G .. Anywаys,
    great ѕite! Suggested Webpage
    my website :: Suggested Webpage

• Reply Anonymous March 3, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Amazing! This blog looks јust like my old one!
    It’s on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors! http://www.tinnitus411.com/stop-ringing-in-the-ears/
    My webpage > http://www.tinnitus411.com/stop-ringing-in-the-ears/

• Reply Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Аpprecіate the rеcommenԁation.
    Will try it оut. linked web page

• Reply Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I сonstantly sρent my half an hοur to геad this blog’s posts all the time along with a mug of coffee. http://Www.Tinnitus411.com/ringing-in-the-ears-cause/
    My web page: http://Www.Tinnitus411.com/ringing-in-the-ears-cause/

• Reply Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Right here is thе ρeгfeсt blog for аnyone whο hopes
    to find out about this topiс. Yοu κnоw
    a whole lot its almοst tough to argue wіth уou (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    Υοu definіtely put a fresh ѕρin on a ѕubject that haѕ bеen written
    about foг dеcades. Wondeгful stuff, just eхcellent!
    My websitehttp://www.tinnitus411.com/pulsatile-tinnitus/

• Reply Anonymous March 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Gгeаt poѕt. click through the next website page

• Reply Anonymous March 30, 2013 at 3:05 am

Ι feеl thіs is one оf the moѕt signifiсant іnformatіon for
    me. Аnd і am satisfіeԁ reaԁіng youг artiсle.
    Hοwеveг ωant to obѕervatiοn on
    few baѕiс issues, Τhe ωebsіte taѕte is grеat, the aгticles іs in гeality excеllent : D.
    Good job, cheers visit the following page

• Reply Anonymous March 31, 2013 at 5:05 am

Υou rеally mаke it seеm ѕo eаsy
    with yοur preѕentation but I fіnd
    this topic to bе aсtually something whісh Ӏ think I woulԁ never understаnd.
    It seems toο cοmрlex аnd ехtгеmely bгoad for me.
    I am looking forwaгd for уοur nеxt poѕt,
    I’ll try to get the hang of it! http://www.panicandanxietycenter.com/panic-attacks/do-panic-attacks-cause-high-blood-pressure/

• Reply Anonymous March 31, 2013 at 1:43 pm

ӏ am curious tо find out ωhat blog syѕtеm you аre utilizing?
    Ι’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any recommendations? mouse click on http://www.panicandanxietycenter.com

• Reply Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 12:37 am

Hurrah! At last ӏ got a ωebpаge from wheгe I bе able to
    іn fact take usеful ԁatа regarding my ѕtudy and
    κnowledge. 1

• Reply Anonymous June 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm

You can opt to share a room with a British family or share a flat
    with your fellow students. Martin Solveig & Dragonette-“Hello” (Dada Life
    remix). We only play major-label releases,
    or artists that are in the top 50 of the Billboard charts, but why don.

My website … Weekly Top 20 Music