Travel // Packing Essentials, Part II

June 29, 2012

It’s safe to say that I have spent a considerable amount of time on the road this year, and I like to think I’ve got the traveling thing down to a pretty exact science.  Of course, your system might not look anything like mine, but it’s one of my more asked about topics, so I thought I’d share some of my current must-haves with you… just in time for summer vacation!  Keep reading to find out about a few of the things that I just can’t go without when I travel…

Update: Totally forgot that I did another similar post last year, so be sure to check out Part I of my travel essentials as well!

• Leggings – Whether I’m traveling by plane or car, I’m usually wearing an outfit planned around either leggings or a maxi skirt and then adapted to fit wherever it is I’m going.  For summer, I like these cotton-spandex leggings from We Love Colors because they are high-waisted, super opaque and are full-length but can easily be scrunched up at the bottom if I want a shorter length for the cropped look.  (Note: I’ve noticed they tend to run small/tight and don’t stretch out or get baggy like a lot of other spandex version I’ve tried, so definitely take this into account if you snatch some up for yourself.)
  • Reusable water bottle – I hate feeling thirsty or dehydrated when I’m on the road, and although they are the most convenient, I try to stay away from buying/tossing disposable water bottles.  This little guy is with me at all times, and I love the filter feature so that I don’t feel weird about filling it up hotel tap water or at airport drinking fountains – just remember to do so AFTER you’ve gone through security!
  • Notepad/pen – I’m rarely without access to any of my online/electronic organizational systems, but many times I find that my most dynamic ideas come to me and are developed when I’m unplugged from my devices and have no access to the internet. (I’ll never know what it is about airplane take-off and landing that gets my creative juices flowing so well!)  Whether you’re intentionally trying to avoid the internet for relaxation purposes, or your hotel’s WiFi is down and then power goes out (AHEM – BAZAAR on Air in Miami…), having a good ol’ fashioned way of taking notes has gotten me through many a plane-ride and one very unfortunate tropical storm (I’m looking at you, Beryl).  This note set by Orla Kiely is currently on my wishlist and would be perfect for jotting down ideas on the go, and this colored pen set from target is one of the best recent purchases I’ve made.
  • Eye Drops – especially handy when I’m traveling for on-air appearances and need to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed first thing in the am.  My eyes seem to get really bloodshot when I travel by plane, but a few drops of Visine Redness Relief in each peeper before applying my make up in the morning never fails to do just the trick.
  • No-show socks – Have you ever been skittering through security in your chic little ballet flats or latest summer sandal when you realized that when the shoes come off, your bare feet will have to walk across a very disgusting stretch of floor?  I’ve only made that mistake once, and I was so grossed out by the sweaty footprints on the ground in front of me, that it will never happen again.  Boots + socks in the winter do the trick just fine, but in the summer, I keep a pack of these nude no-show socklets with me to wear with closed toe flats (you can kind of see them in the photo above!) and that way I don’t have to worry about catching some weird foot fungus (or worse?!)
  • Stickable shoe inserts – Not just for high heels, these little self-adhesive pads, by Stiletto Hardware, are something that I usually keep in the purse version of my makeup bag at all times.  They’ve saved me from many a blister on long days of trekking through NYC, but are equally great if you’re visiting a place sans-car and will be doing lots of walking or using mass transit.

Speaking of traveling… I did a fun guest post over at Running on Happiness yesterday, so head over to see my feature on a variation of my perfect travel outfit, and be sure to tell her I said hello!

Now, it’s your turn to share: What are your must-haves for survival on the road? Share your favorite trips in the comments below and I’ll share a few on our Facebook page this weekend!

Top to Bottom:
Earrings – Early Jewelry
Tank – Urban Outfitters (similar)
Sweater – Dolce Vita
Skirt – c/o Shavonne De’Ann
Bracelet (on sale!) – c/o Ann Taylor
Bangles – Vintage various
Tote (obsessed with this thing!) – c/o Trina Turk for Banana Republic
Suitcase – DVF (from this collection)
Flats – Sam Edelman (similar)
Pin It!

• Reply Taylor June 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

You are so cute in your travel outfit I can hardly stand it! These are also such fab tips :) I would like to note how many bracelets you’re wearing at the airport because I do this too! It’s a hassle at security but I refuse to dumb down my style for the convenience of Mr. & Mrs. Impatient Tourist behind me. xo!

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Haha, thanks, Tay! Bracelet count = Too many! :)

XO

• Reply Margaret E. Perry June 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I never wear maxi skirts, because A someone told me that long dresses always get flagged for scanning by TSA. Not sure if this is true, but I’d rather not bother with that then.

BUT: I always bring a shawl, usually in a bright color/pattern. Automatic style booster, and a blanket for dozing on the plane.

• Reply Jessie Artigue July 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hi, Margaret! I think they’ve majorly relaxed their limitations on this… The first time I flew in a maxi (a few years ago) TSA freaked out and I was pulled aside and searched separately from everyone else. I tried again about a year ago, and they didn’t even seem to notice. No further problems since then! :)

• Reply Grace - Stripes and Sequins June 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

You look adorable – I LOVE the skirt!

• Reply Clara June 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Jessie- I LOVE this post. I’m totally with you on the leggings and notepad/pen. I also always bring a shawl. I need to be better about bringing a water bottle, I always kick myself when I have to buy one there. Gorgeous outfit! Aaand we need to discuss your arm exercises when we meet up :).

• Reply Sara B June 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Love everything about your outfit and your cute bags!!!! Ahhhh!!! And great tips!! xo

• Reply harrie June 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Oh I love the colours of this outfit – perfect for travelling around!
    love, harrieX

• Reply Natasha Fatah June 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Don’t forget a lightweight scarf – it comes in handy in lots of different ways!

xoxo
    ~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Reply The Jones June 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

What an absolutely lovely blog you have! So glad I found you :) We definitely have the same idea of what outfit to wear traveling, don’t think it gets much comfier than a maxi skirt and some boots/flats. Love your luggage too!

New follower :)

<3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

• Reply livefreeandfashionable June 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm

What a perfect travel outfit! Taking a reusable bottle is such a great idea! I always try to stay hydrated when I travel but I hate throwing away plastic bottles too! (Not to mention the expense!) Thanks for the reminder to wait until you’ve gone through security. I would have forgotten that!

• Reply ellen. June 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Very cool! thanks for the tips

• Reply Anna (South Molton St Style) June 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

I love those Edelman flats – they’re so hard to get over here in the UK and I need them in my life! xx

South Molton St Style

• Reply Berty Morales June 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Love this outfit and you look amazing…..love your arms too xoxoxox

• Reply Nikki July 1, 2012 at 1:04 am

Just discovered your blog through Shut Up I Love That Shirt – your style is fab! Now following!
    xoxo,
    Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark

• Reply morganvsmorgan July 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

This is a pretty good list, quite a few things I wouldn’tve thought of.

• Reply Kristin and Lindsay: Passport To Style July 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

great tips and amazing outfit!!

• Reply Alice Warren July 3, 2012 at 4:23 am

Just found your blog & love it! I am with you on bringing maxi skirts/dresses. I never thought about the sweaty feet that have walked the security line…eewww…I think this will be a must for me from now on.

I always bring a light way cardigan to wear on the plane – those blankets are disgusting!

• Reply standardofelegance July 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Great packing tips! I’m obsessed with that DVF suitcase and those Sam Edleman loafers. You seriously need to put your workout routine on here because your arms are the stuff of my dreams (sorry that sounds creepy but I just never seem to achieve the toned arm.) Have a good fourth!

• Reply Jaimie July 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hey, I love this outfit! Hope you don’t mind me saying this but your style is very European! great style!

• Reply Flights to johannesburg July 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

The two of us praying like this to the Black Madonna Sudenly washes over me, and I’m filled with love for my mother. The best gift she has give me is the constancy of her belief. Whatever I become, she loves me. To her, I am enough. Cheap Flights to Johannesburg

• Reply love sms,love text July 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm

The camera is a remarkable thing, you think, with its ability to transform the mundane into an immortal moment able to travel through time, reappear days or months or years after its actually occurrence. Every second of our existence is alive with possibility, but we don’t see it until we hit rewind, until we freeze the frame. It is sad that so many things, all suffused with meaning, escape the unaided eye. Love Sms , Love Text

• Reply pedicure January 18, 2013 at 7:14 am

I simply can’t miss the wet wipes and sanitizer

• Reply Anonymous March 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm

43gxqzf76

Feel free to surf to my blog post; http://www.halogenoventips.co.uk

• Reply randki July 18, 2013 at 10:15 am

It’s impressive that you are getting ideas from this paragraph as well as from our argument made here.

• Reply randka August 5, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hi there! This article couldn’t be written much better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him. Pretty sure he’ll have a very good read.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Beauty Bite // Yes to Cucumbers | Style & Pepper May 31, 2015 at 7:06 pm

[…] – Looking for more of my favorite travel tips?  Check out these past posts here & here, plus a couple […]

• Reply boobs tumblr October 9, 2015 at 2:52 am

If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, simply
    pay a quick visit this website all the time since it offers quality contents, thanks