Concrete Catwalk // Light Layers

May 24, 2012

This season, I’m springing for shorts and light layers… See why and find the rest of the outfit photos, after the jump!

One of the things I notice about my personal style as the weather starts to heat up, is that it seems trickier to create the quirky, layered look that I’m normally drawn to.  That’s why pieces like these lightweight shorts, detailed tank & breezy kimono cardigan all make great staples… they are easily piled on without feeling heavy, and they keep me cool as the temperatures climb.

Speaking of climbing temps, one of the things I’m most excited about for the upcoming summer is spending more time outdoors in our neighborhood!  We moved here at the beginning of last Winter, and as the seasons have changed, it almost feels like a new area all over again… G and I love exploring the parks and little pockets of nature amidst such a big city, and are especially excited about renting kayaks from the little boathouse you see behind me in the photos above.  I can’t tell you how much more at home I feel living near a large body of water again, and we’re so grateful that this little cove is just steps from our front stoop. :)

What outdoor activities are you looking forward to trying out this summer?

Top to Bottom:
Sunnies – AZ Trading Company (similar)
Earrings – Early Jewelry (similar – only $28!)
Tank top – Old Navy (similar)
Kimono cardi – Francesca’s (similar)
Shorts – Forever 21
Starfish cuff – Alkemie (here’s something similar in silver and I love the sea urchin version, too!)
Crystal stretch cuff – c/o Bauble Bar
Valentina Satchel – Botkier
Sandals – Vintage, thrifted (similar)

Pin It!

• Reply Gray Skies May 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love the starfish cuff! I’ve been seeing something similar on other bloggers (Chic on the Cheap, for one), and now I really want one! I think it will be my mission this summer to find one.

Also, I’m with you on lightweight layers for summer. If I didn’t have a fashion blog I would probably just wear shorts and a tank top every day during the summer, but since I do have the blog I want to get more creative than that, and lightweight clothes are definitely the way to do that.

• Reply Katie Aman May 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm

You certainly do know how to layer-you will be my warm weather inspiration! I always find it difficult to dress for warmer weather. Your mint bag is my favorite! Adds such a fresh touch to the ensemble. I wish I lived near the water, what a beautiful setting!

• Reply Natasha Fatah May 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I hear you, I feel like people aren’t as well dressed in the summer. There’s lots of cute dresses but without layering fun pieces, they look flat and boring. Light weight jackets and cardigans go a long way in the summer. :)

xoxo
    ~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Reply Kimberly May 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Love the floral print of that cardigan/bed jacket and your bag is gorgeous! :)

• Reply Berty Morales May 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm

You look amazing and I love your bag xoxo

• Reply ellen. May 24, 2012 at 11:30 pm

starfish cuff is amazing!

• Reply LyddieGal May 25, 2012 at 3:39 am

layering can be so tough in the summer, but you make it look easy!
    Love the starfish cuff!
    Chic on the Cheap

• Reply No chic, Sherlock! May 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

I have found your blog just yesterday and spent every free moment browsing through, and I am taking it slow, so it will last longer :) you have a wonderful blog, an amazing sense of style and I enjoy reading you so much. You are so inspiring and thank you for that. I love this mint bag of yours. Sooo chic!

xoxo,
    Ines/NCS

• Reply Your Coffee Break May 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

Do love the red shorts and the blue bag.. Surprisingly good colour combination.. who would’ve thought! Thanks for the inspiration :)

• Reply Anonymous May 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I just wanted to tell you how much I LOVE your blog! I have recently found you and have added you to my list of daily blogs I watch….I love your style! And…I wanted to tell you how beautiful you are…so pretty!