Spice up your Space // Driftwood Jewelry Hanger

February 7, 2012

You guys aren’t going to believe me when I tell you that after more than TWO MONTHS of living in our new place, I just last weekend finished unpacking the rest of my jewelry collection.  Earrings, bracelets and rings have been easily accessible in bowls and other containers on my counter, but the necklaces were hiding in a big lacquered box, just waiting to be organized and hung with care.  One of the main reasons why it took so long to finish pulling everything out is that I really wasn’t sure how to display them in just the right spot with a method that made sense.

After a morning of treasure hunting down by our little beach the other day, I realized how cool all of the driftwood looked, and thought it might be fun to incorporate it into our home somewhere.  (See the first way we used it as art, here.)  Despite a sweet friend warning against radioactive gunk from the Hudson River (*ahem*), we finally found just the right piece to help me with my jewelry organization woes, and this was the DIY that followed…

1.  Gather your super-simple supplies…

2.  Begin by hammering one nail in the center, followed by the outer two nails (you could measure, but I just eyed it) to keep things even.

3.  Continue adding as many nails as you’d like, spacing them out between the first three.  Be careful of brittle spots or knots that might not hold the weight of a heavy necklace, and try to anchor the nails into solid parts of the wood.

4.  Wrap the starting length of a copper wire several times around one end of the branch and tie off.

5.  Extend the wire to the other side, wrap similarly, and snip the excess with your wire cutters.

6.  Reinforce both knots with your hot glue gun (on the backside of the branch that will rest against the wall), and add a little extra to make sure that the wire will hold firm to the branch.

Now all you have to do is admire your handiwork, find the perfect spot for it on your wall, and hang all of pretty necklaces on your new creation!

How do you guys display your jewelry at home?  Any other clever ideas on how to keep things clutter-free but still readily visible for easy-accessorizing?  Feel free to share your ideas in the comments!

Pin It!

• Reply Annie February 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This is such a fun way to display jewelry – and looks SO pretty – especially against that brick wall :)

The Other Side of Gray

• Reply KShonk Designs February 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

That is an awesome idea Jessie! Perfect time for you to come and win free jewelry on my Great Valentine’s Day Jewelry GiveAway at http://www.kshonkdesigns17.blogspot.com. I’ll cross my fingers for you! (btw….you have a little beach? awesome!)

• Reply Ranu February 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Gorgeous and fun, love all of your chunky necklaces too!

• Reply Alicia February 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oh I love this!!! (PS: Hope to see you soon as well girlfriend!) x

• Reply BmoreLoveLeigh February 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

So creative! I’ve been pinning all kinds of necklace storage ideas, as my old necklace tree from IKEA is running out of room. The driftwood looks perfect against the brick wall.

Around the holidays I gathered some driftwood from the Baltimore waterfront. I was (a) confused that there was driftwood in Baltimore city because, have you seen The Wire? and (b) given some strange looks from passersby and my husband. I ended up using it as a part of a table centerpiece and it’s been sitting outside in the yard ever since!

• Reply danielle and dinosaur toes February 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm

wow, what a great idea! i currently have an antler that i found in the woods hanging on my wall that holds most of my necklaces, but i still have others that need a home. there is a lot of drift wood by the creek in the woods (i guess i should say it, i love on a farm, so we have lots of woods to explore!) from when it floods, so maybe i need to go look for the perfect piece!

• Reply Gray Skies February 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

This idea is much more interesting than my current way of displaying jewelry – which is just nails in the wall. I think it’s time to spice it up a bit!

• Reply Andrea Clare February 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

such a cool idea! I love rustic things like this!

• Reply Sara B February 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Ahh this is so beautiful Jess!! What a great idea!! Pinning it now…

• Reply Kasey February 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

What a fantastic idea!! I totally want to do this, too…We don’t get too much driftfood by us, but next time I’m walking along the beach, I’ll be on the lookout :)

• Reply Paula February 7, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Fantastic idea, Jessie!

• Reply Adin B February 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Very clever!

Adin B

• Reply Natasha Fatah February 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful idea Jessie!

• Reply Courtney February 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm

This is awesome Jessie! Beautiful1 Thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Bernice McMillan February 8, 2012 at 12:09 am

Such a cute idea! I’ve been looking for just the right solution to my jewelry-organizing woes. ;)

• Reply blue roses February 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

this is an excellent, excellent idea….

i have been living in my apartment over 2 years and i STILL have not really organized certain things…. namely my belts and my jewelry. all of my costume jewelry remains scattered across some mirrors and vintage cake plates. sigh.

• Reply Jane February 8, 2012 at 3:55 am

Great idea. I have been using a similar wall hung jewellery tree from UO and i love having my jewellery on display.

• Reply Sarah Ward February 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! A couple years ago I made something similar with a slab of wood, but I really like the driftwood vibe your project is exuding. Pinning!

Cable Car Couture

• Reply ...love Maegan February 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm

gorgeous. love it. love it.

• Reply CC February 27, 2012 at 6:14 am

Love the driftwood against the brick. So cool.
    I recently did a post on jewelry organization. If you’re interested it’s here – http://ccscheapchic.blogspot.com/2012/02/holy-statement-necklace.html

• Reply hermes bag outlet January 11, 2013 at 2:38 am

Your toy it’s so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at omega watches online
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.