Trendwatch // Backwards Cardigans

January 18, 2012
Images via Oh Captain, My Captain & The Sartorialist

If you follow along with the Delightful Dozen blog (which I would highly suggest – wink wink!), you may have already seen my exploration of this quirky trend, but after a handful of emails requesting more info, I wanted to follow up here with some tips and shopping help.

When attempting to try out the backwards-cardigan-look:

• Avoid sweaters with front-hip pockets! No one likes to have two saggy little squares on their cheekies!
  • If you’re reaching for a cardigan with any sort of pattern or embellishment on it, make sure it continues onto the back. (I’m always surprised at how many don’t – we gotta look cute from behind, too!)
  • Pay attention to the placement and visibility of the tag!  Snip it out and remove the threads carefully so it can’t be seen from the front.  If you’d rather leave it in, find a pretty scarf or statement necklace that strategically hides it from view.

After shopping around a bit, I found some options at Urban Outfitters that I think would fit the bill quite nicely…

Clockwise from upper-left: teal $39, striped $39, patterned $49, poppy $39

Check out my original post about backwards cardigans here, and above all – remember that experimenting with your personal style is supposed to be fun!

• Reply Hogger and Co. January 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Yeaaaah, I don’t know about this one still…I’d feel like I’m in a straight jacket.

• Reply Chelle Lynn January 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I love the last little reminder…”experimenting with your personal style is supposed to be fun!” There is so much whimsy in the world of fashion these days (hello, backwards cardigans and mis-matched nails!) and it’s so nice to feel free to have fun with personal style. I may not get bold enough to try this trend, but it inspires me to try more fun, daring concepts.

• Reply girl in the poodle shoes January 19, 2012 at 12:21 am

I’ve been seeing this too and I enjoy all of the variations, I will say though that some cardigans just plain look like a backwards cardigan rather than a whimsical play on a cardigan.
    Like your picks!

Best,
    Casey
    Girl in the Poodle Shoes

• Reply Bekah: Matters of Merrymaking January 19, 2012 at 12:28 am

Okay, I really love this trend! Hope it catches on! WOOHOOO!

• Reply alyson -- the average girl's guide January 20, 2012 at 5:45 pm

not sure how i feel about this trend though i LOVE cardigans. YOu found some killer ones.

• Reply Vivi January 24, 2012 at 12:56 am

I would like to try this trend. For some odd reason, I’m a fan of it.

• Reply Rainbow February 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

I actually find this incredibly cute, with the peek of back and button details, totally unexpected! However, just wearing a cardigan backwards, I’d be too irritated with the high neckline up against my neck to be comfortable.

• Reply mens cardigan February 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Love the red one….

• Reply June February 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

I think this is cool! But the cardi should have a nice back so that it looks nice on our front!
    xx

• Reply Cara Daily September 29, 2012 at 7:05 pm

My mother was doing this in the late 60s (when she was in high school). Amazing.

• Reply Anonymous June 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Cool Home theatre Decor Concepts

Check out my web blog: casino euro