Healthy Eating // Eggplant Ratatouille with Tofu

September 14, 2011
i’m finally back in kansas city, and i have to admit,
i already miss the hustle and bustle of nyc.
still have a LOT of unpacking and organizing to do,
but i’ve still got a little bit of momentum,
so i thought today might be a good time to launch a new feature here on the blog!
i’ve been wanting to incorporate some posts on healthy cooking and fitness
for quite sometime, and have been slowly making and documenting
a few of my favorite recipes to share with you!
first up…
serves 2 – approx 400 cals
the goods:
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion
1 bell pepper
1 small eggplant
1 medium zucchini
1 head of cauliflower
2 medium tomatoes
(or 1 15-oz can of low-sodium diced tomatoes)
8 oz extra firm tofu, sliced
2 tsp honey
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 handful fresh basil leaves
3 pinches of salt
cayenne pepper to taste (i use 2 dashes per person)
2 cloves garlic
+ arrange tofu slices on a greased cookie sheet, season with salt and pepper, and broil until crispy and grilled on both sides (might need to be turned halfway through) – about 15 mins. set aside.
+ in a large, deep skillet heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat. add cubed onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 mins. add remaining oil, cubed eggplant and zucchini, and season with salt, cayenne pepper, thyme and garlic (minced) and cook 5 mins more.
+ add tomatoes and their juices, honey and sherry. reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 mins.  meanwhile, boil cauliflower, drain in pot & mash with potato masher until it is the consistency of rice. divide between two bowls.
+ divide eggplant mixture between both bowls (including tangy sauce!),
top with tofu and shredded basil – and dig in!
let me know if you try this yummy dish, and i’d love to hear your thoughts on the results!

• Reply Laura September 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Yay! So happy to see the branch out, although I still adore the outfits. Thanks for the recipe, will definitely try it out :)

• Reply Courtney September 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm

yum! this looks great and my husband has been asking for tofu for a while so I will have try it out!

• Reply Paula September 14, 2011 at 8:45 pm

looks yummy!

• Reply Grace - Stripes and Sequins September 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Mmmm this sounds delicious! I’m glad you are branching out… I am going to need to try this! NYC misses you already!

• Reply Nuha September 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

this looks really good! just curious on how you cook your tofu. i love when it’s tough/chewy..any tips?

• Reply allie September 15, 2011 at 12:53 am

That looks delicious, I’m a big fan of eggplant!

• Reply jessie @ the concrete catwalk September 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!!! :)

@nuha – for this recipe, i literally just put the tofu on a baking sheet and get it as close to the broiler flame as i can for a several minutes on each side. i like mine on the chewier/crispier side, too, and this method pretty much does the trick. another way to give it some texture is to drain and freeze it (and then thaw) before cooking… kind of weird, but it works! XO

• Reply Nuha September 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

i’ve tried the drain and freeze method before and you’re right, it works…just curious for any other tips :) i’ll have to try your broiler method…i’m excited!

• Reply Jennie R September 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I just made this for my roommates, nothing but compliments!
    I think I’ll use a marinated tofu next time so it’s not as bland.
    grilled some french bread and had a spinach salad! Thanks again

• Reply Jessie Artigue September 21, 2013 at 10:47 am

That’s fantastic! SO great to hear, and thanks for sharing! XO