Concrete Catwalk // Alexa

August 1, 2011
i’ve been meaning to show you this sweet little lacee swan tee for a long time
and it’s perfect timing, because the way i styled it for these shots just might be my fave!
i’m a great big alexa chung fan (hello, style icon!)
and am happy to wear my affection for her on my sleeve, er, shirt. ;)also, you can see how i last wore these shorts here!

oh, and since i know some of you will ask… let’s talk about zee hairs.
if you know me in real life, you’ve undoubtedly heard me talk about this before,
but i am a firm believer that washing your hair with the least frequency possible,
makes for healthier, happier strands and i’m happy to say
that i wash mine no more than once a week!
i have a number of hairstyles that help extend the life of a blowout,
and the one you see here is a summer staple for me.
all i do is brush through hair until smooth and pull into a tight french braid
before hitting the gym for a sweaty workout.
i leave it like that all day (to dry),
but you could probably hit it with a blow dryer to speed up the process.
for this look, i carefully undid the braid, ran my fingers through the pieces
and then scrunched it with my hands after a quick spritz of hairspray!
SO easy!

alexa chung tee – lacee swan (more models here!)
shorts – j. crew
heels – DKNY
clutch – vintage, thrifted
rings – nana’s
bracelets – j. crew/forever21/francesca’s

• Reply Genny August 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh I SO agree about washing hair! I wish I could go a whole week, but with the length now it’s every 3-4 days. Some people think it’s gross – I think it helps keep my hair healthy!!

• Reply Kayla August 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love this tee! Recently I have been going crazy over great cotton tees and shorts, so this outfit is perfect for the inspiration folder. I also wash my hair as little as possible. With shorter hair, I find that twice a week works fine for me with a little dry shampoo in-between. Keep’s hair healthy and it keeps my prep time down!

• Reply Sara B August 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

The sass factor of this outfit is off the charts. Love. And your hair is amazing. I can almost guarantee mine wouldn’t look like that after a french braid and sweaty gym sesh though.

• Reply taimitogetdressed August 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Love the tee! I like Alexa Chung but also my middle name is Alexa (named after Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley’s daughter of course because my mom was realllly into 80s pop culture).

I try all the time to wash my hair less but it’s super thin and oily. I always cave and wash it. I think I need to invest in some dry shampoo to help the process.

• Reply the classy turtle ♥ August 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

So cute!!

• Reply Katie August 2, 2011 at 1:03 am

You are so lucky that you only have to wash your hair once a week! I would be such a grease ball by then!

• Reply lizlovesclothes August 2, 2011 at 3:01 am

Your hair always looks amazing! I can never go more than two days without washing. What products do you use to keep your hair fresh and smelling lovely (esp. after the gym)? Any product recommendations?

• Reply jessie @ the concrete catwalk August 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

three cheers for dirty hair!!! :)

@lizlovesclothes – i use a random mixture (with different amounts/tactics each time) of dove hairspray (smells great!), tresemme dry shampoo (i don’t think i’d buy it again, though), and believe it or not: baby powder!

• Reply Mandy @ life in the fashion lane August 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

LOVE the shorts and pairing them with a tee gave me new inspiration to wear my sequin shorts. THANKS :)

The hair…I agree 100% I was every 4-5 days. I too use dry shampoo and baby powder. You HAVE to pick up the Suave dry shampoo (its amazing. I cannot get enough and it is 500x better than the Tresemme and it is 3 bucks!)I love the smell and it works great without feeling like you have dry shampoo in your hair!!