Concrete Catwalk // Dipped Denim

March 28, 2011
more photos taken by the lovely merl
(what would we have done without her all weekend?!)
my outfit posts have been a little out of order over the past week or so…
this is what i wore on the last day of the TxSCC (to the actual panel meetings)
and i don’t know if it was because i had made a gaggle of new best friends
and was feeling endlessly inspired, or because i was wearing silky pants
[that should really be classified as pajamas],
but i was feeling really great about what i had on.
could also have been because two different people told me that i reminded them
of the fabulous beth from b. jones style!
(i could have hugged them! i have a major girl crush on that one.)
i also thought i’d mention the dip-dyed sleeves of my denim jacket.
i totally fell in love with the idea after seeing it on garance dore,
(what? she always finds the coolest things that inspire great ideas!)
and so i had to try it on this denim jacket that i thrifted at the end of last summer.
i’m sure someone will end up asking for a how-to, so here it is:
– fill two identical glasses about 1/3 with bleach & 1/3 with water
(for you math whizzes, this means the glass will only be 2/3 full)
– place each jacket sleeve cuff-first into their respective glasses, being careful not to splash
– adjust as necessary to make sure they are submerged the same amount
– check every 20 mins or so until the denim has reached the desired lightness
– rinse your jacket in the sink and repeat if necessary
– wash in your machine as you normally would and hang to dry
voila!

jacket – thrifted, bleached by me!
top – vintage vogue (in kc)
necklace – vintage, thrifted (in boise)
silky pants – vintage, thrifted
belt – vintage, thrifted
clogs – jessica simpson

• Reply amanda March 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

sooooooo cool!!!! love this idea. and i loved this whole outfit and the way merl captured you in the photos. :)

• Reply Sara B March 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

oooo I LOVE how the jacket turned out! Nice work!

• Reply Kate March 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Damn! Those pants look so ridiculously comfortable! And you look fantastic in them. I should pick up a cheap jean jacket at a thrift store just so I can try that DIY. It looks awesome!

• Reply GIRL AND CLOSET March 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

You look gorgeous Jessie! I’m in love with those amazing pants, and you’ve styled them beautifully. I also adore what you’ve done to your jacket, it looks SO fab! xx veronika

• Reply kelsey March 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

the jacket!
    the top!
    the necklace!

i love it all.

: )

• Reply Anjela March 29, 2011 at 4:11 am

Oh another awesome DIY! You do totally remind me of Beth of B. Jones style!
    Those pants are too cool!;)

• Reply Morgan and Lua March 29, 2011 at 4:23 am

Genius! I love this outfit. Such a great idea to bleach the sleeves adds a nice detail to the jacket.

So glad you had fun in Texas!! Jealous I wasn’t there to share in all the fun.

• Reply megannielsen March 29, 2011 at 7:03 am

Admittedly, I normally hate pattern pants. But these ones have won me over. YOu look amazing!! And yes that jacket is soooo cool!

• Reply Between Laundry Days March 30, 2011 at 2:52 am

Holy cow! Those pants are awesome. And seriously, this whole outfit is just fantastic!

• Reply Jill GG (good life for less) April 18, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love the DIY idea… it might be fun to do with an old pair of jeans too… just the ankles? Maybe?

• Reply Nihmen T. April 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Very chic outfit! I love the pants, the jewelry is impeccable and the belt is cute :)