2011 Academy Awards Red Carpet Faves

February 28, 2011
alright, i’ll make this fairly quick because overall,
i was very bored with the dress choices from last night.
(especially compared to the globes, which i thought were awesome.)
 my favorite, by far, was cate blanchett’s dress.
it was very different, and i felt like i could have stared at it for hours.
loved the color, but would have liked to see her have on a bright color lip or something.
not a fan of the pale makeup, pale hair, pale dress look.

gwyneth’s dress was gorgeous, and despite the folks who said she looked like a fembot,
i thought it was glam, and again, a departure from the norm.
i definitely would have considered wearing something like this.
i did, however, think that she could have used some more volume in her hair.
i know the stick straight thing is kind of her “look”
but even a slight wave would have softened the overall ensemble.

mila’s dress was beautiful. loved the cut, the draping, and the color,
but didn’t love the peek-a-boo lace down the skirt.

i keep going back and forth on michelle williams dress.
all of the pictures i could find make it look like a silvery white color,
but i thought it looked more baby blue on tv.
the sleeves were different, and i thought they worked,
and the column shape looks great on her.
i have always loved her hair that way,
but did anyone else think it looked like she had her lips done recently?
during the interviews i saw, she looked like she was having a hard time moving them.
(i thought the same thing about sandra bullock… thoughts?)

i cannot even believe i am including celine dion in this list, but i thought she looked fantastic.
the floor length and long sleeves were age appropriate, and i thought her hair was much softer
and more youthful than we’ve seen in the past.
more silver, though, which i’m only just “meh” about.
there was so much of it last night! where was all of the color?

there’s so much to say about the hosts from last night, but i don’t even want to go into it.
(ok fine: anne is a MAJOR dork and james was totally high.)
out of all anne’s costume changes, the following two were my definite favorites:
love the color, the interesting beaded pattern, and the neckline.
not everyone loved this last one, but i think if i had to pick one dress to wear
to wear to my next red carpet event (HA),
it would be this one (out of the options we saw last night).
cobalt blue is one of my favorite colors, i’m a sucker for a strong shoulder,
and of course – i think you pretty much can’t go wrong with bright pink lipstick.
ok, so i’m dying to know what you thought about everything!!
which looks were your faves? did you hate any dresses?
can you tell me where all the color went?!?!
let’s dish about it in the comments! XOXO

• Reply TrophyBoutique February 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Cate Blanchett’s dress was AMAZING. I couldn’t believe how cool it was when I saw it, and therefore no other dress will ever compare. Loved Gwynnie’s dress but agree about the hair and orange face, ugh!

Sandra looked heavy in the upper lip, I totally noticed that. Scarlett Johansson’s hair looked like she just got busy in the back of the limo on the way there and I didn’t really love the color of her dress, or her dress at all, really….Oh and the hosts…ugh…such a disappointment…

• Reply Samantha Lewis February 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I thought Amy Adams looked really stunning in her starry sparkly gown, I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It looked prettier on stage than in these red carpet photos, but it is a TV broadcast event.

• Reply jessie @ the concrete catwalk February 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

laurel, i love your take on scarjo’s hair… definitely a little too messy for a red carpet event. loved the cut, though! made me want sassy short hair again!

sam, amy’s dress WAS gorgeous, but for some reason those semi-capped sleeves weirded me out. i wish they were a short sleeve like michelle williams dress, and then i probably would have been in love. :)

• Reply emmy-ray February 28, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Some of my favorites: Definitely a fan of the Amy Adams number, and really liked the necklace. Definitely agree about Cate! Hailey Steinfeld was so cute, and age appropriate. And call me crazy but I really liked Florence Welch’s lacy nude number, even if it did wash her out a bit. I’m also partial to red hair of course :) My favorite dress of Anne’s was the gold one shoulder with all the beaded fringe. Fabu!

On a surgical note, I was thinking more along the lines of botox? Michelle Williams whole face was frozen. So odd. And Sandra Bullock was just being a snippity biatch if you ask me.

• Reply Francesca March 1, 2011 at 12:55 am

agree! loved cate mila and gwinnie. anne really annoyed me, love james tho.

xoxo,
    F

Le Kiss Kiss- Click Here!

• Reply Maureen March 1, 2011 at 12:58 am

Yep, Cate Blanchett & Gwyneth were my top two faves as well. Although it was too casual, I loved Scarlett Johanssen’s dress. And thought that the white/beaded gown that Anne Hathaway opened the show with was incredible.

Sandra Bullock was having trouble one way or another – it makes sense thinking she just got her lips done. But she seemed really unhappy. And yes James Franco was almost certainly stoned.

• Reply sara March 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

scarlett’s was my favorite…loved the color, but she seemed uncomfortable in it.

sandra’s lips were definitely…altered.

• Reply gina March 2, 2011 at 4:59 am

why don’t you capitalize words? you’re not e.e. cummings.

• Reply jessie @ the concrete catwalk March 2, 2011 at 5:05 am

haha, love the lit reference, gina. see my email to you for a brief explanation. :)