We have been cleaning up like crazy over at Casa de Pepper, and while it’s not my favorite activity in the world – I can’t help but breath a huge lemon-scented sigh of relief when all the surfaces are finally clear of clutter and the windows are open to let in the fresh air.
As many of my blog buddies have been doing the same thing lately, I thought it might be fun to share a few of their favorite tips, as well as some of the tricks that my little fam just can’t clean without…
- Closet clean-out. As you begin to switch out those seasonal pieces, take stock of the cold-weather items that you haven’t worn in the past few months. Do they really need to stick around until next winter? If I haven’t worn it for a full year, it gets a good hard look before going back on the hanger. (And more often than not ends up here or here.)
- Booze for the bed. “To clean your mattress, you can repurpose something I know you probably have in your house: vodka! Don’t use the good stuff, but put a bit of inexpensive vodka in a spray bottle and spritz onto your mattress to kill bacteria and deodorize.” – Erin Heimstra
- Brighten with blooms. Ever noticed that your clear glass vases get grimy over time? Soak them in a sinkful of water and white vinegar to get them looking crystal clear before filling with flowers. (Because a simple bouquet makes ANY space look better.)
- Jump up and dance. “Pick a song that totally energizes you. For me, it’s Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy.” Set your alarm to play that song once a day (at a time that you’re normally at home). When the alarm goes off, stop what you’re doing and clean for the duration of the song. Making your bed is a good place to start!” – Justina Blakeney
- Loving my lemons. We’ve used them for everything from scrubbing the counters to keeping pests away, and they get a whole lot of love in my kitchen, bathroom + beauty routine! ;)
I’d love to hear your own tips in the comments below, so please share away and I hope you have a sunny, sparkling-clean weekend!
Ps. – I’ve been dying to take a look at The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up… Has anyone read it yet? Worth nabbing on my kindle for the weekend?